CV Replacement - '95 K2500 - ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rook

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I watched this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUBkxseNWqc
Not so bad, I could do that. Then, I see how very different the upper/lower control arms are on the '95 - can't get the CV out, wondered how even if I did, I would ever get the new CV in without ripping a boot again. I removed the sway bar, didn't give much room. The back of the CV (inner side) isn't going to clear. Turned wheels, wondering just WTF. Do I remove the upper control arms?

Then I see this guy, and it makes me think that although he's a knob and has a 1500 not the HD 2500 suspension, he got er done nonetheless https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZeE9hNQsI8

What's the correct way to go about this?

rook

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I found much debate about this issue late last night. People saying you can, and cannot take this thing out without a fair amount of stuff removed. I'll give it a shot tomorrow again, take some pictures... Seemed damn impossible without taking out the UBJ or upper A arm. I might go get a pickle tool just in case I go the UBJ route...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On my dually I can change one in a 1/2 hour easy. I think I could do it in 15 if I had the tools ready and everything went smoothly. I just pull the sway bar link, drop the 6 bolts holding the shaft to the diff, lower the shaft then I blast away with my impact on the axle nut.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
I've never had an issue on my old 8-lug K2500, 6-lug K2500 or K1500. Just cut the sway bar links out (they're only a few bucks anyways), it can be done with them in there but it's just a little more tricky.

Just got to hold your tongue right and it will go. It's a tight fit.

Sent from somewhere between here and there

rook

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, held my tongue right and got it out, new one in. The key to anyone finding this thread: jack up the lower A arm to all hell after you've got the rig on jack stands. On my first attempt, it got a late start due to some jack@ that installed the sway bar bolt upside down and didn't jack up the A arms. This time, it took about an hour start to finish. Thanks for the confidence to get back in there and get it done - for me, a guy that gets through a hell of a lot using Google and YouTube videos, it helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: