Cutting out cats question....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

copernicusd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
what about next year?
hear you can fail one year, cost you 150 or so in parts, and something like 70 for an exempt sticker, then your good for 5000 miles a year, I almost cut a hole in dash to roll back odometer, but never got around to it, got a ticket, and managed to pass, with new plugs, and a gasket on the exhaust, witch is now leaking again, and worse

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
A lot of guys around here take the convertor off, gut it and then run a section of 2.5" or 3" pipe through the center then weld them back on. But unless you have a welder, I guess thats not an option.

If it was just rattling inside, you could have drilled a small hole in the center and run a drywall screw into the honeycomb and it will tighten against the cat body. Lasts about a year before it breaks free again.

In NY it is a major violation for any Muffler/vehicle repair shop to remove a cat and by pass it. I believe it's a $2500. fine for the first offense.

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
You might try going to an exhaust shop and seeing if they'll just finish welding it for you, since technically they didn't remove it. That's what I had to do with mine. I just paid cash under the table. There just wasn't enough room to get under there and weld it without a floor lift.

Your other option would be dropping the y-pipe and welding it off of the truck, but that's a bit of a hassle.

ShadowRejects

I drank the Kingpin koolaid
Reaction score
Before next inspection i will have another cat. Trust me, if you want your truck to be loud, this is the way to go...

with no pipe of cat... this was before i put the empty cat back in

http://youtu.be/XVvP3-7VelM