Cutting out cats question....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ahh I was thinking he had a Vortec, you'll be fine O2 wise with a TBI. But definitely have an exhaust shop do it and put a piece of pipe there.

Exaust shops won't do that. They might weld a pipe there but they will not cut the cat off.

hawkeyez71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I cut mine off and didnt have any problems. I had a shop take a piece of 3in pipe and expand both ends. Measure twice cut once! lol otherwise your going to be fighting exhaust leaks all the time.

ShadowRejects

I drank the Kingpin koolaid
Reaction score
i cut my cat off and gutted it and tried to re-attach it.. but where i cut the front section is bigger than 3 inches so i cant find an adapter anywhere! i got the back part on but the front part is being held on by an exhaust patch sheet metal and is leaking bad and sounds so ghetto. anyone have any pics of how they did it? my truck sounds like it has 10000 hp.. and i dont want to get pulled over for noise violation :rice::nono:

copernicusd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
they don't check that on emissions there?
here I thought after 20 years they didn't check, but they guy told me they do, what do they expect out of a 20 year old work truck, hell my last engine got better milage, but couldn't pass emissions, this engine, worse millage, but passes emissions

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
Explain to me the method of gutting cats and I thought it was illegal?

ShadowRejects

Reaction score
they don't check that on emissions there?
here I thought after 20 years they didn't check, but they guy told me they do, what do they expect out of a 20 year old work truck, hell my last engine got better milage, but couldn't pass emissions, this engine, worse millage, but passes emissions

they do. i got my inspection today and came straight home to cut it out because it was rattling so damn bad

ShadowRejects

Reaction score
Explain to me the method of gutting cats and I thought it was illegal?

it is. very. you cut if off, and smash all the honeycomb on the inside and make it a empty cat and put it back on,