Cut Up Engine Wire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sean McDonough

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello, I'm a bit new here. I have been looking on here for a post about my specific problem but haven't found anything. My friend was going to get rid of his 1991 k1500. The thing is awesome with a k2500 suspension, sas and 14bolt rear end. They were going to scrap it because the transmission didnt shift to third ( 3-4 clutch pack ), so to easily remove the motor they cut all the wires to it. If I can add photos I will in my next post. But the wires coming from the passenger side fire wall have been cut completely. Would I be able to get an entire wire harness from a junkyard k1500 ? Does it have to be the same motor or will any TBI harness do ? I bought the truck for 250$ so it was cheap, but im also about to graduate high school so money is slightly tight so I would rather not buy a 700$ harness online, nor hope I can get all the wiring from another motor that I drop in. Sorry if this has been addressed before.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any engine harness from a 88-91 will work as long as it has the 700r4 and transfer case.

Sean McDonough

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any engine harness from a 88-91 will work as long as it has the 700r4 and transfer case.
Ok thank you a ton, is there a specific transfer case I need to look for or just any 4x4 model ? I'm assuming it's going to be only the half ton tcases

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
For a drop-in, 1991-1992 only :( because 1988-1990 have the different shape block where it passes through on the firewall. Another reason, 1988-1990 have the large flat 3 pin TPS connector; 1991-up have the small round one. Yeah if he wants to get handy with a soldering iron and some shrink tube, he can adapt as needed, but the 1991-1992 harness is the easiest bet.

Richard

Sean McDonough

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
For a drop-in, 1991-1992 only :( because 1988-1990 have the different shape block where it passes through on the firewall. Another reason, 1988-1990 have the large flat 3 pin TPS connector; 1991-up have the small round one. Yeah if he wants to get handy with a soldering iron and some shrink tube, he can adapt as needed, but the 1991-1992 harness is the easiest bet.

Richard
Yea, I found one from a 88 today at the junkyard, friend didn't tell me it was a 2wd and the firewall plug looked different. Worst case scenario ill still just shove it in there, is there any aftermarket harnesses that don't cost 500+ ?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
An FYI that block at the firewall on the passenger side where the engine harness passes through - it's not actually a plug. The disconnects are inside the cab closer to the ECM. That piece that attaches on the firewall is just a chunk of plastic that seals the hole. I never looked hard enough at one to see if it could be removed without damage, to swap with the other style. Might be possible...might not. Regardless, with an earlier harness you also have that TPS difference I mentioned and possibly others.

Richard