Cut off cat?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

90bowtie

Reaction score
Ok quick question. I have a 90 with only one o2 sensor,and as of right now we dont have any checks in this state.Will it throw a code if I hack the converter out?
It just has alot of miles on it and I'm sure it has to be restricting the flow by now.

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
One o2 sensor - you should be good.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah yours is just like mine. Back in high school I had my only cat taken out so my exhaust was nothing but piping. Looking back, it was a :nono: because gradually over time it burnt up the motor not having any backpressure, not to mention it sounded terrrrrible, but back then it was all about having a loud truck. Yea it will throw the code also. Just curious, but why would you want to cut it out?

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
How is he getting a code if it's just the one sensor???

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OP I just saw WHY you're doing it. If it's plugged up then it will be better to remove it. Check out summit though. I got my 2 cats for $50/ a piece. It would be okay to run without for a bit but you definitely want to replace it before too long!

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
backpressure on new cars is not effective. I forget where I read it, but some older cars needed it not new ones. As for a check engine light, my 88 has no cats and I get no light. It's a tbi truck too.

90bowtie

Reaction score
I never heard of an engine burning up without a cat on it? But I'm goin to cut it out and see if it helps at all,thanks for the replys.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've had the cat off my truck for 4 years with true duels in this truck and same motor with no cat on SI/DO exhuast in another truck. Never a code thrown and no burnt up motor.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I love your truck man, sorry to thread jack, not big on camo but love the truck, looks awesome.