Cummins Swap into '83 Blazer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
Hey guys, my Dad called me the other day and is thinking about swapping a 5.9 cummins into his 6.2 diesel Blazer. Someone told him that there was a kit available (or at least once was, he's been out of engine work for a while, haha) to help with the transplant, I was just wondering if any of you guys had any tips or advice on a swap like this.

I know virtually nothing about a cummins swap this far back, just combing the '400.com brain for something of use. :waytogo:

*note*

We also will be installing my lift this month I believe, offered to give me a hand, which will help

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
Sup Charles? Yes there are kits out there to make the swap happen. Cant remember the links off hand, If no one answers by later this afternoon i will see if i can dig them up. But you will need a rear engine plate so the engine can bolt to the GM transmission, Adapter flywheel/flexplate depending on whch trans is in it. new front cross member with the cummins mounts. What makes life easier for you guys is the fact you are starting with a 6.2 Detroit powered truck. When i did this same swap close to 10 years ago now kits were not as easy to find lol. It just happened to work out that the cummins i used already had the flywheel/rear engine plate fitted since the friend i got it from fitted an SM465 trans behind it in his mud truck. But we wound up doing a LOT of work to the chassis to make it work at that time using the original crossmember. The mods we did wont be needed for a stock K5 with a stock output Cummins. BTW Consider the 4bT as well...it is a 4 cyl version of the 6BT engine, a lot of which came in the delivery trucks like fed ex uses. and it was already fitted in front of a TH400 trans in that application which will give you that back plate and Flex plate. Plus its easy to build up a 4bt to around 300 HP and if i recall correctly it puts out around the same torque as a 6.5 Detroit.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
What is the drivetrain going to look like?

Ie:just a 6bt and the rest gm, dodge donor transmission, or a complete dodge donor truck?

Those are the first things you have to decide.

They determine if you just need frame engine mount brackets, or a complete adapter plate and flywheel type setup.

Easiest way out is a complete 12v dodge donor truck and then swap it over.

It's also a different ball of wax if his blazer is a GMT400 chassis or a square body.

4btswaps.com is your best source for info on this type of thing....

NaomiSays

Hot Tamalé!
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
When the time comes, send me a message and I will look up the wiring diagrams and send them to you.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
What is the drivetrain going to look like?

Ie:just a 6bt and the rest gm, dodge donor transmission, or a complete dodge donor truck?

Those are the first things you have to decide.

They determine if you just need frame engine mount brackets, or a complete adapter plate and flywheel type setup.

Easiest way out is a complete 12v dodge donor truck and then swap it over.

It's also a different ball of wax if his blazer is a GMT400 chassis or a square body.

4btswaps.com is your best source for info on this type of thing....

I believe he plans to keep everything stock besides the engine. And I think he said he wanted to put a 5.9 in, not the 12v (I could be a complete idiot here, but I thought the 12v was a bigger one... my knowledge on diesels could be summed up in this period ----> .

Right now he has no donor truck or anything, its just something he's been chewing on. He would like to supe up his blazer, but knows that the 6.2 diesel has limitations, so is looking at a cummins swap.

I can answer one question at least. Its going into a Squarebody Bj.

Yes, 1983 K-5 Blazer, half ton, 4x4

When the time comes, send me a message and I will look up the wiring diagrams and send them to you.

will do, thank you sir, but I am not sure if there will be very much involved with an '83

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
I believe he plans to keep everything stock besides the engine. And I think he said he wanted to put a 5.9 in, not the 12v (I could be a complete idiot here, but I thought the 12v was a bigger one... my knowledge on diesels could be summed up in this period ---->

The 5.9L is the 12v (6BT), the 3.9 is the 4BT.