Crate engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

popcorn501

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone ever had any dealings with Carolina machine as far as a reman engine. I'm getting ready to put one in my 98 and they seem to have the best deal I've found. Thanks.

popcorn501

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
98 5.7. Looked all over the web and could find anything bad about them so I ordered one last week with the better aftermarket heads and an rv cam in it. Should be here in about two weeks.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
98 5.7. Looked all over the web and could find anything bad about them so I ordered one last week with the better aftermarket heads and an rv cam in it. Should be here in about two weeks.

RV cam is pretty mild. Easy idle, decent mid-range grunt, not much after about 5000rpm. If I was going new motor, I would use something with a bit more yippee/yahoo. But that's just the old fart hot-rodder in me. I'd want to take full advantage of those heads. Being 'old-skool', I've always liked the LT1 350hp cam, or the 365hp fuelie cam. Both hydraulic, both have a nice lope to the idle, and make great power without being un-livable to drive with on a daily basis, although they won't work in the LS engines. I'm sure that there may be similiar cams for the LS. And with the tuning capabilities of a computer engine, yikes! Now that would be fun!

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
RV cam is pretty mild. Easy idle, decent mid-range grunt, not much after about 5000rpm. If I was going new motor, I would use something with a bit more yippee/yahoo. But that's just the old fart hot-rodder in me. I'd want to take full advantage of those heads. Being 'old-skool', I've always liked the LT1 350hp cam, or the 365hp fuelie cam. Both hydraulic, both have a nice lope to the idle, and make great power without being un-livable to drive with on a daily basis, although they won't work in the LS engines. I'm sure that there may be similiar cams for the LS. And with the tuning capabilities of a computer engine, yikes! Now that would be fun!
Only problems with the cams you listed, are that they are Flat Tappet, Vortec 350's got Roller Cam's, but i believe Comp Cams offers some with similar specs.

I wouldn't expect much better then stock with the RV cam.

blackcoffee

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was thinking of doing the RV cam.. Comp cams does make pretty decent ****. Anything you reccommend fastorange?

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have, indirectly. A friend of mine had a Dart block 400 built by them. Its a monster, made something like 502 hp and 538 tq on their dyno. We put it in his '69 camaro and went to the chassis dyno earlier this year. Still put out 410 hp to the wheels. They are a great company and he had no issues or problems with them or the engine so far. Hopefully your dealings with them will go just a smooth....

Here is a video of it on the dyno I shot with my blackberry. His other videos show him tuning the cold start and the engine on the dyno at carolina machine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m3NNU_WuH4&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

popcorn501

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I'm not looking for any hot motor this is going in my z-71. So just a touch above stock was all I was looking for. They do something else to the engine I'm guessing port the head but I'm not sure.