Cranking: How To?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1Kurgan1

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've tinkered with cars basically my whole life and finally have a truck to mess with to. Just got a 3" Body Lift and 35's on it. But it's apparent the front end is a good amount lower than the back and I am not a fan of the raked looked on the truck. I see a lot of talk about cranking, about angles, and see a lot of guides about body lifts and what suspension lifts to look for. But I'm wondering is there any cranking guide here? What are good angles, what are bad angles? how to crank?

I plan on diving under the truck later this week and seeing what I can figure out, but wondering if there is a post I am missing with a good amount of info on this.

slim

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
there is a torsion bar that goes from the lower control arm back parallel to the frame into the torsion keys that are in a crossmember, the keys have a bolt (i believe its a 15 metric) that adjust the key. if you tighten then the key is pushed up, which turns the torsion bar and then cranks down the lower control arm and lifts front end. as you crank higher, the ride will get rougher, and if you crank too high the upper control arms will set on the bumpstops and you will have a ride like a chuckwagon. but you can crank it up about 1.5"-maybe 2" (fender measurments, not bolt length) and be ok. it will just ride a little rougher...it also helps to lift the front while doing this so the tires are off the ground...makes tightening the bolt easier

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
not sure on bad or good, you want it kinda flat or straight across, but anyways I know how to do it so here goes....

set park brake, block the wheels in back.

jack under the front crossmember to raise entire front, or do one side at a time. Jack enough to get the tire off the ground, or both tires off the ground depending on if you are doing both sides or one at a time method.

place jackstands under it in secure location.

grab your 18 mm socket, follow the t bars off the lower control arms back to their crossmember, look for th ekey and the 18mm head adjusting bolt.

Now IMO, see which bolt is sticking out the LEAST, in my case the DS, now you decide on turns, 2-3 turns gets you an idea, or crank it to the max. if you are unsure on how much but want good angles, try 2-3 turns at first, then you can fine tune a turn or so at a time.

Turn the 2-3 tunrs tightening it or to the right, righty tighty.

Do the other side the same amount, DO NOT worry about one beign in further then the other, as long as the truck sits level or did sit level turn them the same number of turns.

Let it down, drive it a short bit, to settle it back down, then see if it's high enough. if so get an alignment or at least have it checked, if not go one turn at a time or so to get it as high as you want, but once you are satisfied get your alignment.

If it's too high back it down a turn or so until you like it. Just make sure when you get done have it checked for alignment.