Cranking and Adding Blocks.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WVXC450R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just bought a 97 ext cab Sierra the other day and have a few questions about it. I'm a die hard Ford man so you all got the conversion just so you guys know! Anyways the truck has a 3" body lift on it already and the front end still sits way low. I'm wanting to crank the bars and see if I can get it level with the rear or even higher so I can as a set of blocks. Anyways being a ford man i have heard lots about cranking the bars causing tons of stress on the front end parts and wearing them out. Is this true on the gmt400's as well? How much can I crank without going overboard? What's this I've heard about using stock ford keys? What's the difference between using stock keys, ford keys, and say rough country keys?

Here's a few pics of my new truck!
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iEnding

Georgia Boy
Reaction score
Cranking will still cause front end parts to die fast. You need to look at your angles first and then decide how much room you actually have to crank

tylers88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ford keys are indexed the same as leveling keys for 1/2 ton GM trucks, in a GMT400 you dont need leveling keys unless your bars are getting worn. With a 3" body lift and cranked to level you can clear 35s. When you crank to level with blocks te anglestart to get pretty crazy. Truck looks good, see you got the only color these should have come in.

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
maybe crank to level what you have, but absolutely do not add blocks and try to crank to level. and dont worry about any other keys, your stock ones will allow for more than enough crank. clean truck man!

WVXC450R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright will do guys!

By the way does anyone know what wheels tho thing has on it? Only bad part about buying used is you don't know what's been done or changed or what brands what.

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright will do guys!

By the way does anyone know what wheels tho thing has on it? Only bad part about buying used is you don't know what's been done or changed or what brands what.

look like some old 90's american racing wheels not sure on the name

DonYukon

Dont stop until it sounds expensive
Reaction score
Truck looks good how high are you really planning to go? from the pics you supplied it looks like the chevy sits higher than both of the fords , Is this going to be an off road toy? if so I would go ahead and buy a 6 inch kit if not and your not planning on spending a whole lot of money keys and blocks will do

WVXC450R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well the white ford is on jack stands. The black one is also my truck. It's sitting on 31's with about 2-3" of lift on the front. My GMC does sit a little higher than it. I just don't like how my front sits noticeably lower than the rear. I want to do a 6" suspension lift eventually but probably no time soon. If and when I do that the body lift may come off. It's my daily driver so there won't be too much playing. Plus the paint is In halfway decent shape so I don't want to get it all scratched all to hell yet lol.