Cracked case at rear seal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Using a seal puller, the seal came out pretty easy, but noticed the hook broke off part of the T case.

Best work around to fix this?
You must be registered for see images attach

Reaction score
I put the new seal in, put some rtv on it where the piece broke, put the piece back in there and then put some Jb weld across the top. Let’s hope and pray she doesn’t leak.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The " hard way " to learn that thin materials can be easy to damage. Next time a little more finesse and less brute force.

Reaction score
The " hard way " to learn that thin materials can be easy to damage. Next time a little more finesse and less brute force.
Correct. I should have just tapped it out with a hammer and screw driver like did the front.
Live and learn

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is smaller puller available through a bunch of sellers. Has a small drill chuck to grab a screw you thread into seal body, then slide hammer it out. I got it from Lisle years ago.
Or a small three finger to pull straight out. :waytogo:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Based on visible witness-mark in the photo, the seal does not go in as far as the bottom of the broken piece. It's likely to leave a little gap open to the outside that will leak.

RTV Silicone on the inside might seal up the little gap.

Epoxy from the outside might seal up the little gap.

The treasure yards have lots of transfer cases that could donate a replacement tailhousing.

Reaction score

Based on visible witness-mark in the photo, the seal does not go in as far as the bottom of the broken piece. It's likely to leave a little gap open to the outside that will leak.

RTV Silicone on the inside might seal up the little gap.

Epoxy from the outside might seal up the little gap.

The treasure yards have lots of transfer cases that could donate a replacement tailhousing.
I patched it up and have only drove it once but so far no leaking