Courtesy fuse circuit short

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dusterbd13

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, 95 c1500 extended cab.

Since shortly after i redid the interior (did not pull dash) it has blown the courtesy fuse (fuse 3). I checked the wire run to the back of the cab, and the overhead console where i spliced into the factory wiring for bare spots and found none. Doesn't mean there aren't any, but none obvious.

My factory service manual doesn't have wiring diagrams. Apparently that was an add on book or something. So ive been shooting in the dark, and didn't come up with much i trusted on Google images.

Which brings me here, with two questions.

1. Anyone have a good diagram of the circuit, showing what all is wired in other than the lights? Or is it JUST the interior lighting?

2. Are there common spots where these trucks have an issue with this circuit?

dusterbd13

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've never had faulty bulbs blow a fuse, but it makes sense in theory. And not something I had thought to check yet. I have checked the wiring along the channel beside the door, but that's about as far as I have gotten. Other than the overhead console wiring that is

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Definitely. Those are notorious for shorting out from what I hear. Thing is, they're not powered unless you turn the cargo lamp switch on.

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Definitely. Those are notorious for shorting out from what I hear. Thing is, they're not powered unless you turn the cargo lamp switch on.
My third brake /cargo light is wacky. The brake light works but the cargo lights never have.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
the cargo light is weird to begin with. first the switch needs to be on then it will lite along with your interior lights. if you open the door or when you turn them on. I completely rewired mine because I didn't like how they worked. in doing so I learned that the contacts are kinda weird but perfect for an oldschool incandescent bulb which only has 2 contacts and will work either way its inserted. leds instantly blow because they short circuit due to the fact that there are 4 contacts and can usually be inserted either way and work. not the case with the cargo light contacts check them with a multimeter..... there are 4 contacts, 2 on the left (one and the same) and 2 on the right (again one and the same.) to overcome this I removed the printed circuit board contacts and there was no more short. to bad I didnt catch this before I destroyed 2 kinda expensive projector lensed leds.

anyways.... this probably is not even relevant to your problem though because if the switch is off the cargo light wont operate. but it could be, they will eventually leak and water could have intruded. take a close look.

I customized my oem cargo light and pretty much siliconed it back on. I cover the original gasket with black silicone to match. silicone is not usually recommended on metal or steel BUT if its painted silicone is absolutely fine.

I thought, and I could be wrong, but dosent the interior light circuit operate by grounding out the door pins? they are open when the door is shut and closed with the door open...?

hmm. a schematic would be helpful. I'll grab a pic for ya, I'm sure I have one in a hanes manual, I know they suck n all but I have always kept one in every vehicle Iv owned. yes I do have 2 copies of the same book, one in both my trucks, they fit folded over in the bottom drawer in the center console. the fold sucks but hey I can deal with it. HAHA

Al

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the cargo light is weird to begin with. first the switch needs to be on then it will lite along with your interior lights. if you open the door or when you turn them on. I completely rewired mine because I didn't like how they worked. in doing so I learned that the contacts are kinda weird but perfect for an oldschool incandescent bulb which only has 2 contacts and will work either way its inserted. leds instantly blow because they short circuit due to the fact that there are 4 contacts and can usually be inserted either way and work. not the case with the cargo light contacts check them with a multimeter..... there are 4 contacts, 2 on the left (one and the same) and 2 on the right (again one and the same.) to overcome this I removed the printed circuit board contacts and there was no more short. to bad I didnt catch this before I destroyed 2 kinda expensive projector lensed leds.

anyways.... this probably is not even relevant to your problem though because if the switch is off the cargo light wont operate. but it could be, they will eventually leak and water could have intruded. take a close look.

I customized my oem cargo light and pretty much siliconed it back on. I cover the original gasket with black silicone to match. silicone is not usually recommended on metal or steel BUT if its painted silicone is absolutely fine.

I thought, and I could be wrong, but dosent the interior light circuit operate by grounding out the door pins? they are open when the door is shut and closed with the door open...?

hmm. a schematic would be helpful. I'll grab a pic for ya, I'm sure I have one in a hanes manual, I know they suck n all but I have always kept one in every vehicle Iv owned. yes I do have 2 copies of the same book, one in both my trucks, they fit folded over in the bottom drawer in the center console. the fold sucks but hey I can deal with it. HAHA

Al
Mine leaked last year and I replaced it with one from LMC. I really don’t care if the cargo lights on it work, as long as the third brake light does.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
here ya go. getting a pic with that fold is a royal PITA but hey, I can deal with it. the courtesy lamps do lite by grounding out. SOOOOOO you could have a short anywhere in the wiring. it just needs to chafe and touch ground.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: