couple questions regarding my 4l60E

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

warbird

Reaction score
okay guys/gals. so here's the deal. its a 94 gmc 2500LD 5.7 with the 4L60E, i recently had things happen to where this will have to become my daily driver. has in the past only been a junk hauler. so i am dealing with some maintenance issues. changed the rear end fluid (it was nasty and low) rebuilt rear brakes, and now i am working on a long standing tranny leak. i see that soem of it is coming from the rear seal and some from the VSS so no big deal... but this thing is nasty. can you pull the tailshaft housing off of the 4l60E with no problem? or will i be opening a can of worms?
also has anybody ever cut a chunk out of the tranny crossmember to allow you to get to the pan bolts without having to remove the whole thing? that just seems like a really bad design on GM's part to me

thanks

oh ya is there anything up top near the back of the engine that is known to leak? i have alot of gunk and some of it looks to be oil and some antifreeze all over this tranny

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Rear Main, intake manifold gaskets leaking at rear of motor, quick disconnect on the intake could be a causes for the oil/coolant leaks leaking down onto the trans. Common issues from what I've come across.
Not sure with the crossmember, haven't done much work with auto trannys.

cjcarlin

Reaction score
I wouldn't consider cutting up the c/member. There's only 2 nuts and bolts on either side and a nut on the mount. Remove them, raise the back end of the tranny an inch or so and slide the c/member back a couple inches and your good to go. It's really not that big of a deal.

warbird

Reaction score
thankss all for the answers.... another question ..... looking at the servo housing area it looks like i may be gettign a small leak out of the servo.... i've never torn into a servo but i am wondering how hard it is to do? do i need any special tools (to do it right) and as long as i am looking to work in that area would it be worth it to put in the vette servo? (which year?)