Correct fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been using Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF in my t-case.
You must be registered for see images attach

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Autotrac fluid is used in the transfer cases that have the "auto 4wd" button on the dash.
GM service manual lists Dexon III P/N 112346143 for NVG 246-NP8 Two speed push button Transfer cases. It also lists Dexron III for the NV 261 Transfer case.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know the question has been asked but I want a straight forward answer. 1998 Silverado k1500. Manual 4x4. What goes in the transfer case?
Dexron IIIH, except you can't buy that any more. Therefore, Dex/Merc is close enough. Auto-Trac II if you've got lots of money you don't want any more.

So, is the Auto-Trac(R) II Fluid (GM P/M 12378508, basically the same as Dexron II? Or, what is the GM part # for it, if not?
Best I can tell, "Auto Trac II" is Dexron IIIH with blue dye instead of red, and a bunch of GM politics and bullshit wrapped-up in it. They don't want to sell Dexron IIIH any more, so they re-named it.

But I've been wrong before.

Bob2650

Reaction score
Many sources of information on the 246 transfer case claim a need for the blue auto trac II fluid.
The 99 factory service manual lists GM 12378396 which is the obsolete red version of auto trac fluid that crosses to the blue auto trac fluid.
My copy of the 2000 unit repair manual shows dexron III gm 12346143 (another obsolete number) for the NVG246
I use this:

Valvoline Multi-Vehicle (TCF) Conventional Transfer Case Fluid 1 QT, Case of 6 from amazon. No worries about the word "conventional" it is actually full synthetic as shown in the pictures and discription. Perhaps that is why it seems to have the wrong price on it.​

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
In a case of 6 it is $6.56 a quart delivered.

Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many sources of information on the 246 transfer case claim a need for the blue auto trac II fluid.
The 99 factory service manual lists GM 12378396 which is the obsolete red version of auto trac fluid that crosses to the blue auto trac fluid.
My copy of the 2000 unit repair manual shows dexron III gm 12346143 (another obsolete number) for the NVG246
I use this:

Valvoline Multi-Vehicle (TCF) Conventional Transfer Case Fluid 1 QT, Case of 6 from amazon. No worries about the word "conventional" it is actually full synthetic as shown in the pictures and discription. Perhaps that is why it seems to have the wrong price on it.​

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
In a case of 6 it is $6.56 a quart delivered.
OP has a 1998.

Deancr11

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The auto trac II is used in the np 246 transfer case and what ever case the newer trucks are using.