Core shifter NV3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Years ago Hurst offered a short throw shifter for the NV3500 trans. Its been discontinued. Looks like Core is building these and selling them with a chrome Hurst handle and whit ball knob. I really want one. Was wondering if anybody here has one. Any plusses, or minuses to one before i pull the trigger on $300 plus for one of these.

Thanks
Matt

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
ty brink on youtube has some good videos on them. they seem well made, and i plan on getting one for my truck when i have an extra $300

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
One of the top 3 mods I've done to my '97.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/core-hurst-nv3500-shifter-install.15248/

I made a custom leather boot. The plan that Core uses for a boot is to use the factory one & then because the Hurst arm is so much thinner, provide a rubber spacer/plug/donut thingie to fit inside the top of the factory boot. I didn't like that idea. Didn't really work all that well. You'll see that in the pix.

I made a pattern for the boot I made. I can make more! Hehe! Hit me up if you're interested. $35.00 for leather, $20.00 for vinyl, + the ride.

The shifter really benefits from this mod, too. Highly recommended.
The explanation starts at step 16.

http://installuniversity.com/instal...ages/sophomore_year/drill_master_cylinder.htm

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
One of the top 3 mods I've done to my '97.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/core-hurst-nv3500-shifter-install.15248/

I made a custom leather boot. The plan that Core uses for a boot is to use the factory one & then because the Hurst arm is so much thinner, provide a rubber spacer/plug/donut thingie to fit inside the top of the factory boot. I didn't like that idea. Didn't really work all that well. You'll see that in the pix.

I made a pattern for the boot I made. I can make more! Hehe! Hit me up if you're interested. $35.00 for leather, $20.00 for vinyl, + the ride.

The shifter really benefits from this mod, too. Highly recommended.
The explanation starts at step 16.

http://installuniversity.com/instal...ages/sophomore_year/drill_master_cylinder.htm
**** i forgot you had one too.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You got a pic or 2 of the boots you make? I figured the rectangilar handle coming out of the stock round hole would be a bit goofy. Right now core doesnt have any of these to sell on their site for a 94 NV3500, so i have to wait. Does your boot work with the stock floor plate? I had planned on getting mine powdercoated.

I am looking forward to a tighter shorter throw pattern. I put over 150k on this truck since buying it new. Always felt the shifter to be lacking. Loved the notchiness on the hurst comp plus in my old 69 charger R/T i had years ago. Ended up modding the 5 speed shifter in my 07 mustang, and its rifle bolt precise now. My 67 barracuda is getting a comp plus in it as well. I'm just a stick shift junkie. Only car with a slushie in it we have is my wifes caravan.

Great part about having a stick besides the driving fun, is my wife and oldest kid (female) wont ask to borrow it lol. So i dont ever have to tell them no.

Last edited:

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
The leather I used for mine was from a very thick hide. Bit of overkill, but that's what was closest at hand. Made for the fit to be a little funky around the top.
A thinner hide would work as well & last just as long without that bulkiness at the top where it's stitched back under.
There's actually 2 boots on the factory style. That bulky outer accordian thing, along with an inner that's meamt for weather protection & heat retention.
I re-used the inner.
The boots I make also re-use the factory retainer ring. I allow for extra leather along the bottom portion, so that the boot can be trimmed down with a razor knife after the install. Better too big than too small!
1st pic is in 1st gear, 2nd pic in second.

You must be registered for see images attach

I drove stick for the first 4 or 5 years after I got my license.
First time I drove an auto, I nearly put everyone in the car through the windshield at the first stop. (Mom, Dad, Sis, Aunt. Mom's Impala.)
I...ahhh...went to push the clutch in. Hit the brake pedal! Oooops!

It's always been my opinion that people that drive stick are drivers that are more aware of their environment. Not any better than someone that drives auto, just more involved with the driving experience.
Have to be in the right gear at the right time. Hills, corners, stopping & accelerating. Takes a bit more than just mashing a skinny pedal or jumping on the fat one.
Besides that, I'm using all 4 appendages. Texting or sucking back that triple grande 1/2 fat no-foam caramel machiato while driving a stick? It can be done, but those are distractions that just flirt with disaster.
...and a stick is a great anti-theft device. Most millennials don't have a clue, & the crack/meth heads don't want to steal one because shifting gets in the way of firing up the pipe.

Last edited:

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm liking that boot. Trying to decide on weather or not i like black or dark gray better. Since my truck is green i am thinking of either this green pearlescent knob from summit or a green vintage sparkle looking freightliner shift knob if i can find one i like. My uncle Earl drove as an owner operator for years and retired in the early 1980s. I thought it would be a cool tribute to him to have a semi truck shift knob.

low4x4

backyard mechanic
Reaction score
I have the nv3500 with a Hurst shifter...it was less of a throw then the original but with modifications I was able to make it a true short shift...with out hitting your knuckles on the dash....all I did was to add a separate 120 degree bracket at the base

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
I really like mine. Even for the cost, it's something I enjoy every day. As far as the "short throw," goes, I believe it's only rated at 5% shorter throw...Not a major gain. However I find the positioning is more comfortable than stock. :driver: