Core shifter NV3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Just scored this guy from the junkyard for $20! Too bad i don't have any NV3500 shifted trucks at the moment.
You must be registered for see images attach

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dayum. Now thats a score!!!!

Hey anybody out there thats done this conversion, do you get a bunch of noise in your trans when its in 5th gear unless you hold the stick over to the right while its in 5th ?

I installed mine today. It fit like it was supposed to. Ordered it for a 93-94 Chevy NV3500 code MG5. Shifts great thru all the gears. I am very happy with that part, however theres a constant noise like somethings rubbing in 5th, unless i hold the shifter over to the right. Its like the neutral detent spring that keeps it snapped in the 3-4 spot when i neutral is too strong.

It is the original trans the truck came with. I have owned it since day 1, so trans is the correct year.

Anybody run into this issue with trans noise in 5th gear after installing one of these shifters?? If so, what did you do to correct it? I want to drive it, but dont want to screw the trans up.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Figured out my issue with excessive synchro noise in 5th gear with shifter trying to pull to the left, and having to hold the shifter to the right to make it go away. The spring tension in the shifter that keeps it lined up with 3-4 gate in neutral was excessively high. I dissassembled the top of the shifter thinking maybe i can find lighter springs. What i found was small springs inside larger springs. I reassembled it with just the light springs and tested in clamped in soft jaws in my vise. Felt slightly less side to side spring tension as compared to the stock shifter. I figured the noise started when i put this shifter in with the stiff assed side to side tension. I bet it goes away with lighter side to side tension. I temp installed it, no silicone, no boot just to run it up to get it into 5th gear. Viola noise went away, and i love the way it shifts even better with the light springs. Heres pic of heavier outer springs i removed. I guess tomorrow it goes back together for good.

You must be registered for see images attach

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Chris from core shifters told me not to take the heavier duty springs out. Problem is without them the trans shifts great, and no constant noise in 5th gear or having to hold the shifter to the right to get it to stop. That alone tells me the spring tension was too damn high. I have been emailing him back and forth explaining that the dimensions match up, and that it is installed correctly, and that the spring tension is too high.

Noise issue in 5th didnt start until i installed the core shifter, and it went away completely when i took the heavier springs out and left the lighter ones in making it feel about the same tension as stock, plus i feel the shifting is much improved as well. Shifter tension is just waaay too high with the stiffer springs.

He says he has sold hundreds of shifters and everybody wants the tension that high. Ummm no. i dont. Not when it makes a constant awful noise like a shifter fork constantly riding on a synchro hub, and the only way to keep the noise from happening is to continuously hold the shifter over to the right in 5th gear. So obviously something isnt right, and it aint that my transmissions got a problem either, because it didnt make that racket in fifth gear until i installed this shifter, then went away when i took the heavier springs out, and put the core shifter back on.

Lighter springs it still shifts close ratio, smooth and precision notchy like a rifle bolt. My 07 mustang GT i put steeda poly bushings, and a saleen short throw adaptor to the stock shifter and this shifter feels just as precise and tight as that one.

Not sure how i get Chris from Core to realize that the heavier duty springs arent needed, or at least i dont need or want them for my shifter. Its really a good shifter and is fan freakin tastic with just the lighter springs installed.

I will post more when i got an answer back.

Matt

Last edited:

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi to everyone following this thread. The newest news is that Chris over at Core shifters sent me lighter duty inner and outer springs for my shifter. The good news is the shifter is still riflebolt accurate, and the noise from 5th gear is about 99% gone. If it really aggravates me, the minor little bit left i will probably fine tune out with the combination of light and heavy duty springs i have.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi to everyone following this thread. The newest news is that Chris over at Core shifters sent me lighter duty inner and outer springs for my shifter. The good news is the shifter is still riflebolt accurate, and the noise from 5th gear is about 99% gone. If it really aggravates me, the minor little bit left i will probably fine tune out with the combination of light and heavy duty springs i have.
One thing that helped with the noise was placing dynamat between the shifter and the stick.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi Skylark,

The problem wasnt excessive noise. The normal transmission noise the truck always had was never a problem. It was an abnormal noise in 5th gear right after i put the shifter in that wasnt there before i modded it. That told me something was wrong and had to do with the install itself. I trouble shot the issue and figured out it was the super stiff springs side loading it against 3rd gear. Chris at Core shifters said everybody wants stiffer and stiffer springs. But was nice enough to send me a set of lighter duty ones free. The lighter duty springs are just fine, kills 99% of the abnormal noise it was making in 5th gear. This tells me i am on the right track to solving the problem.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just thinking about this after a solid nights sleep, more than likely i will just swap the inner spring on the right side of the shifter mechanism with the heavier duty inner spring and leave the lighter duty outer spring on the right side alone. Also leave the lighter duty spring set on the left side alone. This will probably eliminate that last 1% of the abnormal 5th gear noise. Simple 15 minute job with shifter in the truck.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Chris from core shifters told me not to discuss the spring tensions. Said what worked for my truck may not be right for someone else. Asked me to delete my posts on the subject. I cannot. So i offered to post a retraction. He recommends letting him and the buyer decide whats right for their application. I know this worked for me. I like it a lot this way, however being that he is the manufacturer let him work with you to determine whats needed on your particular vehicle.