coolant smell with heat on with certain vents

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrp12357

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That heater core is relatively easy to change compared to a lot of other ones, with practice it can be done in about 30 min., I pull the glove box, pull off the bottom cover which is held in place by several 7mm screws and one of them is fairly difficult to remove and then the retainer strap, pull the 2 hoses under the hood, and at this point I like to blow some compressed air through the heater core, because there is always some coolant left in it that will dump in your floor when you remove it, and if you blow some air through it while it's still in place, it clears the coolant out. Now the heater core can be removed, and reinstall is reverse precedure, I also leave out the one difficult screw and I have done this on probably 10 of them with no problem's, this way if you have to get back in there again, you won't have to deal with that one screw again. Anyway good luck with your heater core change.

yea i heard about that hard to reach screw lol. im glad i have this year truck for several reasons, but main reason being is heater core comes out simple compared to my 98 yukon haha and everyone likes this computer for tuning

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, it's not bad at all, but as far as the front heater core is concerned, a 98 Yukon is basically the same to do, it's no more difficult to do the 95-98 than it is to do the 88-94. Now the rear one if it has rear heat and air now that's a different story.