Converting to no Computer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
if i had 15k to play with id 6bt swap my truck and make it a damn monster. just about everyone will tell you even those who have a 6.5 will telly ou they are a waste, good waste of money though if thats what your aiming for. as to how not run a computer i have no clue pretty sure no ones tried to not run a computer without going back to 6.2 oobs tech

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
I'm just a little hung up here. If you have 15k to play with make it fun! Do a Duramax and Allison as said before or stick a 383 stroker in there or skies the limit really. Duramax and a 6 inch lift? So many options here I'm jealous I wish I had that money to play with

Not my truck though, I'm still just not gettin the no computer thing - is it worth it?

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
If you've done the db2 swap already and have a standalone computer for the 4l80e then you're good to go.

You loose cruise control but thats about it. I assume you've swapped out the APP for a throttle cable unit already.

The tach runs off the alternator, the speedo off the vssb, the rest of the gauges in the dash are "standalone".

The diesels are not like the gassers in obdii where everything runs through the pcm.

Your glow plugs will need to be converted to a manual system (ie:switch) since the diesel PCM does control those.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Wow. They said you were knowledgable. I am assuming the "standalone" for the transmission is the TCU I bought. So the only thing I need is that glow plug switch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Wow. They said you were knowledgable. I am assuming the "standalone" for the transmission is the TCU I bought. So the only thing I need is that glow plug switch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty much.

There might be a few little bits i'm forgetting, but thats just about all of it I think......

Never heard of EZ-TCU, most use the us shift unit (http://www.usshift.com) to do the transmission when doing the db2 conversion. Some have used the factory TCM from the 92/93 model trucks as they where factory db2 6.5 TD trucks.

But whatever works I guess.

:)