Converting gas fuel system to diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LoCascio_Inc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m in the middle of converting my old gas 5.7 fuel system for my 6BT swap and had a few questions. Filler neck, hoses, cap, etc. are all original gas components. The tank is super clean inside and I’ve replaced the in-tank pump with a length of submersible fuel hose. Original supply and return lines on the chassis have been cleaned and adapted to 6BT lift pump and return hard line.
  • What to do with the evap/vent outlet on the tank? Just cap it off?
  • What to do with the two in-tank wires for the deleted pump?
  • My 6BT has a fresh lift pump, IP, and injectors and I’m wanting some reassurance that a 1998 gmt400 gas tank won’t create any problems when used for diesel. Internal coatings or anything like that?

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If i remember right the tanks are the same between the 2 and it is just the sending unit that is different. Have you considered getting a diesel sender for your tank? Also I think the diesel sender has 3 ports like yours. If im remembering right when I had my tank out of my 6.5 the one your asking about went from the sender to the filler neck and the tank is able to vent with the cap. If you go this route make sure you get a cap that for a diesel and is vented. If you don't want to change your sender can you remove the wires from the plug and fill the holes in the plug with a plug what I call a dead head. It's just basically a pin that plugs the hole.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If i remember right the tanks are the same between the 2 and it is just the sending unit that is different.

Possibly because diesel is a denser fluid than gasoline which will affect the height the sender float sits at.
In diesel, a gasoline float would sit higher - flattering the reading. Nice, until it runs dry on you still showing there's fuel there!

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Possibly because diesel is a denser fluid than gasoline which will affect the height the sender float sits at.
In diesel, a gasoline float would sit higher - flattering the reading. Nice, until it runs dry on you still showing there's fuel there!
That could be possible. But also on a diesel sender all that is in the tank is the sender and the fuel pick up and return line. The lift pump is frame mounted about where the fuel filter is on a gasser.