Complete Newbie...what is the purpose of lifting a truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ukiltmybrutha

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Central VA, DC Metro, NOVA (can they make up their
Hi,

I was just wondering what the purpose of lifting a truck is in technical terms besides it looking good. I don't mean to offend anyone, just want to learn. Is it to allow more clearance? My truck just happens to be lifted in some manner and I want to learn more about it's purpose.

Thanks in advance.

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
all lifts are in order to allow more room for bigger tires, and on these truck it allows more ground clearence in the front end

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
all lifts are in order to allow more room for bigger tires, and on these truck it allows more ground clearence in the front end

All lifts do no give more ground clearance up front, only tires will increase the ground clearance. Since all lifts just drop everything down 4-6" you gain very little clearance until larger tires are added.

There are 2 types of lifts, a body lift and a suspension lift. A body lift you raise the body with blocks between the mounts and body. Leaves frame and suspension the same. With a suspension lift the front suspension components and front diff are dropped with brackets. 2 types of suspension lifts, full drop drops everything, upper and lower control arms, different steering linkage. Or a knuckle kit just drops lower control arms and uses a taller knuckle, uses stock steering. You can also raise a stock truck by cranking the torsion bars too, but cranking to much will cause alot of wear and strain on the front end parts.

Why lift you ask. Main reason is to get the clearance for larger tires. Some do it for looks others do it for better off road performance.

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All lifts do no give more ground clearance up front, only tires will increase the ground clearance. Since all lifts just drop everything down 4-6" you gain very little clearance until larger tires are added.

There are 2 types of lifts, a body lift and a suspension lift. A body lift you raise the body with blocks between the mounts and body. Leaves frame and suspension the same. With a suspension lift the front suspension components and front diff are dropped with brackets. 2 types of suspension lifts, full drop drops everything, upper and lower control arms, different steering linkage. Or a knuckle kit just drops lower control arms and uses a taller knuckle, uses stock steering. You can also raise a stock truck by cranking the torsion bars too, but cranking to much will cause alot of wear and strain on the front end parts.

Why lift you ask. Main reason is to get the clearance for larger tires. Some do it for looks others do it for better off road performance.

but the thing is it does give a little more gc if it is a 6inch with a 5inch drop braket ( like most lifts for these trucks) ten you crank to get that 6th inch and get more gc

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
I dont want to be the smallest truck in the parking lot! Helps my wife find it when she takes it to the grocery store.
And of course, keep the fat chicks out!