Column Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Is it possible to swap out a 95-98 Chevy column for a 88-94 Chevy column? I am asking this because I don't like the steering wheel (kind of nasty and thick) I have on now and love the old steering wheel, but the multifunction switch get's blocked because the wheel doesn't stick out like the 95-98 steering wheels didn't to pass the switch. I didn't know if this was possible?

Edit: Never mind, I think I am just going to get a steering wheel cover for it.

Last edited:

rockusaf

Reaction score
I know you said nevermind but just to potentially help someone in the future, I went from 1991 to 1998 column with the entire dash swap so I took the column mount off the donor truck at the pick-n-pull and after doing that it would take some work since they aren't really that close mount wise and the wiring is completely different. I completely swapped everything so all new wiring but when I was looking at the 2 side by side with all the harnesses and plugs I was glad I didn't have to try to splice to make it work.

Rock

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Oh ok, thank you sir! That answers my (previous) question. :) Your story is pretty interesting, it must have taken a while to do, especially since that is a big step, all I did was go from a 1998 dash to a 1995 dash, I couldn't image how much work it was to do with a 1991 to 1998 dash swap, that's a huge step! Last year, I was going to go backwards, from 1998 to 1994 and older, but ended up going with a 1995 dash since I thought it would be easier.

I ended up buying a steering wheel cover from Wal-Mart and it's actually what I have been looking for. It's not a skinny wheel I wanted so bad, I actually found the fat wheel better. I think you did the right move by upgrading your 1991 to a 1998. Did you grab the 1998 dash from a 2500/3500? Those had the cubby hole instead of the airbag, and the 2500/3500's had a non-airbag wheel also, hope you got the 2500/3500 version of the wheel and dash. :)

rockusaf

Reaction score
QUOTE="98chevy2500SS, post: 960219, member: 17669"]Oh ok, thank you sir! That answers my (previous) question. :) Your story is pretty interesting, it must have taken a while to do, especially since that is a big step, all I did was go from a 1998 dash to a 1995 dash, I couldn't image how much work it was to do with a 1991 to 1998 dash swap, that's a huge step! Last year, I was going to go backwards, from 1998 to 1994 and older, but ended up going with a 1995 dash since I thought it would be easier.

I ended up buying a steering wheel cover from Wal-Mart and it's actually what I have been looking for. It's not a skinny wheel I wanted so bad, I actually found the fat wheel better. I think you did the right move by upgrading your 1991 to a 1998. Did you grab the 1998 dash from a 2500/3500? Those had the cubby hole instead of the airbag, and the 2500/3500's had a non-airbag wheel also, hope you got the 2500/3500 version of the wheel and dash. :)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I got the cubby hole instead of air bag from a 2500, I've still got the air bag steering wheel but obviously none of the sensors or anything to make it go off so it's useless. Not sure if I want to keep it or get aftermarket but it'll do for now.

The biggest headache of the dash swap was actually on the engine bay side. I pulled the dash and entire interior harness so everything in the cab is new (well "newer" I guess would be more accurate). I pulled the entire underhood harness from another truck and merging the 1991 wiring for headlights, wipers, turn signals, etc... with the 1998 wiring from the relay/fuse block. Oh and surprisingly the 2012 Camaro engines/tranny harness wasn't plug and play :banghead: If I had to do it over again I'd break it up and do the dash swap separate. All totaled the truck was down for about 10 months, working mostly weekends on it and at least a month of that was trying to get the brake lights to work. I was amazed when I first put the power to it when I had it mostly done and just about everything worked, well except those stupid f@#$ing brake lights. Now that its back on the road I'm really glad I did it.

Rock

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
I have the whole dash, wiring, door harness, airbag delete pocket, and the ac/heater box from a 96 model truck for simplicity of installation.

@rockusaf do you have anymore details about the swap, because I pulled everything from a 98 Silverado. I am interested in information on the engine bay side of things, as my truck is a 94. I understand I need the steering column bracket, but how different are the two column brackets? Any side by side pics available?