Code #35 idle air control sensor circuit fault...2nd TIME!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright guys so I originally had this code a few weeks ago. Replaced my IAC valve (didn't do anything special just screwed it in and plugged it in) and cleared the code..Then weeks later it's back....I've noticed when turning my truck off it dies funny, I can tell it's being turned off at a higher RPM...The truck constantly idles @ 1,000 rpms when I put it in park. Also when I first fire it up it jumps way up to 1,500 rpms then slowly goes down to 1000 rpms....Now it usually idles @ 800 or so...I've just noticed it's been idling hi is that a sign that the IAC is in fact bad? Also the CEL will only come on when It's running in park after sitting for a minute it will come on. Then when I put it in gear after a second it always goes off... This IAC thing was brand new 2 weeks ago and I even bought the more expensive duralast one....So should I just go buy another IAC valve? or is there anything else I can do? What do you guys think it is? Btw this is the only code I got. Also, the IAC directions were confusing the hell out of me so when I got the new one I just screwed it in and plugged it up but the truck seemed to run fine!

Other than the hi idling it runs great, but it bothers me. Trying to get it fixed asap.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay how do I adjust it? And like I said it came with instructions that I did not understand at all so I just put it in...but even if it was out of adjustment, could that make it set off the code???

illinoisboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I really dont remember how to adjust it, hopefully somone else can chime in there. If it was out of adjustment, im pretty sure it would screw with you idle and make the sensor think i was bad. Like i said hopefully someone else can clearify this for the both of us.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's funny...I was just looking at this exact video on youtube lol but I'm guessing it has something to do with that "pintle" (point) on the end...I'll check it out and report back.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I remember reading about it not exceeding 1 - 1/8th inch...and comparing the old with the new. I also remember the new one not being any longer than the old in the area of the pintle so I feel I did not need to adjust it. Again, my speeds @ constant 45 or whatever is fine..The only slight variation I noticed is on starting the truck the idle jumps up to 1500 and settles @ 1,000 (where it usually is @ 8-900) and also when I throw it in park the idle jumps up to 1,000....Not sure what to do. I don't want to rush out and go try adjusting it and messing it all up but the good news is I still have the old IAC downstairs in the box along with instructions so I still have it as a reference point. I'm thinking about taking the new one back to autozone and getting it replaced since it's probably still under warranty I've only had it in a month max.

As far as adjustments go it didn't seem like there was much adjustment to be made. Just make sure it's no longer than 1- 1/8th of an inch and the same length as the old one....which I clearly remember comparing them and all that.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright well here they are. The old one is on the left, new on the right. They were pretty damn close when I pulled the new one out and compared, so I got the damn near perfect pintle wise...Fired it up and it seemed to idle better but honestly could just be hi hopes, won't know until I see that CEL come on again. I mean I BARELY adjusted that thing...Maybe a fraction of a cm but anyway here they are. Only notable difference between the two is the spring design. Otherwise they are exact.
You must be registered for see images attach

Tell me what you think...Really glad I had the old one and RECEIPT laying around. If the CEL comes on again I'm taking the new one back and getting replaced. Then I'll match it up with the old one again and wait for the CEL to come back on for the same IAC valve code again :D

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
K guys so after I took the new one out and matched it to the old and put it back in, I took it down to the store. Left it in park and running (since that's what trips the CEL) So I came out of the store and sure enough, the CEL is on and just like every time I put it in drive and start going and it flicks off...:nono:...any thoughts on this? I plan on replacing it with another new one first thing.

Does anyone elses keys remove from the ignition while the truck is running??? LOL mine do and I love it because I can keep it running, lock it up, take keys with me...It's useful in all sorts of situations loading up the trailer I can leave it running and go unlock the ball and drop trailer on.