cluster woes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

un4givn85

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
so, I scored a free tach cluster from a 91 2500 at work, took it out, also took the temp control as mine is bad.
i got it home and got mine out, and found they are different!
the connectors are different and the tach one is fatter, wont even fit in there.
here are pics

side by side, mine is on the left
You must be registered for see images attach

this is from the 91

this is mine

i was under the impression they were all the same until 95, whats up with this?

also, tach cluster with ~98k for sale :Frustrated:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Hard to find part; sell it to someone with an 88-91 that wants a tach cluster.

EDIT - re-read...

And no, TBI clusters go 88-90, 91 alone, 92-94, and 95. Get one from a 92-94 since that's what you have.

Richard

un4givn85

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
so is this one from the 91 worth something?

thanks for the help

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
so is this one from the 91 worth something?

thanks for the help
For someone with a 91 that has moonies it's a drop-in needle/tach cluster. For someone with an 88-90 all they have to do is move 3 wires around in their dash connector to make it an otherwise drop-in.

Would help if you noted whether it came from V6 or V8.

Last one I had I sold for $125 locally, from a V8 truck. That was several years ago when they were probably a tiny bit easier to find.

By the way what's wrong with your cluster that had you looking for another?

Richard

un4givn85

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
this is from a 91 2500 with i think the 454? one way or the other its from a v8

i just want a tach in my cluster, and the PRNDL is broken and the trip meter doesnt work

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
For your '93, tach cluster is easy to find, just has to come out of a '92-'94 much easier to find a tach in the '94. It seems kind of random which trucks got them and which didn't. I was really surprised my fully loaded '94 GMC with 5.7/NV4500 5-speed didn't have a tach cluster, so I put one in there.

I know you want to swap in a tach cluster and you should be able to find one easily, but also know that your tripmeter can easily be swapped out from a working unit, as well as the PRNDL indicator.

Richard

un4givn85

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
good to know
i have come across a few tach clusters on ebay ranging from 50 bucks to 150 bucks lol
i think the only thing wrong with the PRNDL indicator is the cable, the PO of the truck had the cluster and other stuff out before and snipped the cable

kkirwan71

women problems
Reaction score
Sorry to thread jack but I've been wanting a tach cluster for my 90 how hard would it be to get that one to work? If it's not too difficult I'll buy it

Sent from my 3/4 ton iPhone