Clearance issues with distributor for cam offset retard

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
2.9 won't cause a light. I am -6 and no light issues. In my case I believe that the timing chain is stretched enough to not get it right. I have turned that oil pump and stabbed that dizzy 10+ times and it is always -6 or +12.

Smitty82

Reaction score
2.9 won't cause a light. I am -6 and no light issues. In my case I believe that the timing chain is stretched enough to not get it right. I have turned that oil pump and stabbed that dizzy 10+ times and it is always -6 or +12.

So the hiccup miss that I am feeling sometimes could be something else and I need to clear the code?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
How many miles on the distributor? My '96 7.4 had a "hiccup" that turned out to be a badly worn distributor, at 200K+ miles. Took cap off and could shove the rotor side to side about 1/4"

Richard

Smitty82

Reaction score
It could also be fuel related. I was amazed at my phantom miss disappearing after changing my fuel filter.

I'll pick one of those up today when I go to auto zone and get code cleared. I'll give an update tonight. Next question I have. Do you still have the forked dizzy hold down or do you use the old style half moon? I had to take the new forked style off to get mine to the -2.9.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll pick one of those up today when I go to auto zone and get code cleared. I'll give an update tonight. Next question I have. Do you still have the forked dizzy hold down or do you use the old style half moon? I had to take the new forked style off to get mine to the -2.9.
No forking way that I kept the fork!

Smitty82

Reaction score
Before doing any of this, what is the CEL on for?

I'm not sure. I could be just doing all of this for nothing. LoL J/K it's on for the cam/Crank correlation. Or it was. It's off now. Changing fuel filter now.