Chopped Cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lazybones

Reaction score
The idea of chopping the top about 4 inches in my '93 RCSS is stuck in my head. Local guys at the glass shop say they can cut the laminated glass for the windshield but I will have to "paint" the black edges so the glue doesn't deteriorate. Instead of tempered glass in the rear they can use laminated glass. They don't have an answer for the tempered door glass. Suggested Lexan but I'm worried about scratching, etc.
Has anyone done this?
How did you go about replacing the door glass?
Yes, I saw the picture(s) of a GMT-400 with the top completely cut off. And the picture of the "hard top".
Northern climates pretty much require a closed in cab.
Thanks for any help you can offer.

Kustombuilt1911

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your glass guy is willing to work with you, you might have him lay your door glass on several different windshields to find the correct contour of the the glass. Then he can cut the laminated windshield glass to be used as your new door glass. Have had to go this route several times with different chopped cars. It can take some time, but worth it in the end.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Who will do the chopping of the top? That's something that needs to be done by someone with experience. I bought an old Buick with a chopped top, partially done and the guy doing the work did not know what he was doing. He essentially ruined a low mileage car.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did see a GMT400 RCSB rolling down the road around here... only thing poking above the hood line and bed line was the darn windshield! And the dude's head, lol.

My buddy and I were driving together and both of us were like, "what the fuc$#@&!k is that!?"

I'm guessing some steel tubes need to be inserted in those pillars and somehow welded rigidly at the bottom to something stiff, since the pillars were obviously never meant to cantilever like that? I dunno.

Now that I think about it, I don't know how side windows work? LOL. And we figured the poor guy watches the weather like a hawk to make sure there in no rain in the forecast! Weatherman's here are like 50-50 correct and we get a lot of rainfall, so perhaps this mod may be better for folks that live in the desert Southwest?

Last edited:

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Jesse James' '90.
2" front chop, 4" rear.
Weird amounts, but one of the few 400's with the lid whacked that actually kinda-sorta works, not that I'm a fan of chopping post-'49 vehicles to begin with.
Well...guess I'd have to include some of the '60's full size vehicles customized by John D'Agostino in there.
The other 400's I've seen with the Fr-n-Rr dropped equally tend to look more like a rolling brick on a brick.

IIRC, the front glass was just slid down 2" & the rear is plexi.
No idea about the side glass.
There is a vid of the build out there somewhere, but I couldn't find it.
Done by Ryan & crew @ West Coast Customs in '09.
Weird build for them.
No aquariums in the console, no pink crushed velvet, no flip-flop paint job & no nail salon in the trunk.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Yes that is rather restrained for them! Nice looking truck though ( I personally would've taken only 3" out of the back cause it looks uneven to me, but as I said on another post, everyone sees a custom vehicle differently).