Choosing a new cat system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Birchyboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I asked this on another forum but didn't get much info. I've revised it a little based on newer information. Here's goes:

I've got a '99 with 168k and one bad converter. The other one has been replaced already; the bad one is closest to the rear flange. I want to do the replacement myself, either in my garage at a garage where I can rent a lift for a couple hours. It looks like a straightforward job; 9 bolts, bada bing, Bob's my uncle. Unless some of the bolts break, then I'm screwed.

I keep reading about Magnaflow and Flowmaster. I'm on a tight budget (thanks for the $1,300 repair, Acura), so Magnaflow is likely out. The Flowmaster gets good reviews except for the additional O2 sensor holes that need to be plugged. It looks like a standard M18x1.5 bolt will fill the hole?

Here's what I've found on Amazon:
Flowmaster, comes with the hardware except for O2 plugs, $312
Walker, no hardware, $264 plus a $50 rebate debit card
AP, with hardware, $327

The garage I usually go to doesn't like Magnaflow and said that they use the AP brand. I had never heard of it; they said it wasn't available unless you worked for a shop. Low and behold, 5 minutes on Ebay and I found the brand at a reasonable price. The Magnaflow is a 2 or 3 piece system, so it would be easier to get it up and around where it needs to go.

I need advice on which one to go with. I'll also be ordering 3 new O2 sensors; I replaced one of them a month ago. I'll be towing, so if any offer a power improvement over the other I'd appreciate that input as well. I'll do a cat-back muffler later this summer, hopefully. I'm mostly concerned with the studs and nuts on the manifold connection. They look like they'll be easy to get to, and I've got some PB Blaster, but I'm a little scared of having one break. Any tools that can help ensure the rusty nuts can come off?

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
lots of pb blaster and an impact.

Soak the bolts overnight for a few days, every night, before the repair. You're less likely to break bolts witj an impact, than you are with a constant increase force of a regular wrench.

I dont know what the flange looks like, but if it has the room, be prepared to replace bolts/studs with a regular nut and bolt. Take a grinder and drill set with you.

Birchyboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I took it today and got a single Magnaflow cat welded in for $220. Will probably have the same shop do a new Magnaflow muffler and pipe soon as well. Seemed like good peeps.