Choose Cam for forced induction 350

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I recently swapped my TBI for a built 350 with vortec heads, new cam, injection etc.

My old motor is just laying around, i'm thinking of doing a really cheap turbo setup and putting it in maybe a tractor or something. I can get a cummins diesel for free, injection and ECU is really cheap if you're building it yourself. My question is, what cam should i go with? Can i go with a mild K1102 from summit? I know the heads sucks, but can i go with a larger cam if I'm adding a turbo? Or should i keep the low duration due to the heads?

Thanks

arrg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cam it for the rpm range you want to run it at. Make sure you use the recommended valve springs with your new cam and check your clearances. The boost will probably overcome (to some extent) the rpm limit the swirl port heads usually present when used naturally aspirated. You're planning on running this with a carb not tbi, right?

Reaction score
Cam it for the rpm range you want to run it at. Make sure you use the recommended valve springs with your new cam and check your clearances. The boost will probably overcome (to some extent) the rpm limit the swirl port heads usually present when used naturally aspirated. You're planning on running this with a carb not tbi, right?

Im planning to run this with port injection, have access to a machine shop so i will probably modify the TBI intake or just build a new intake from scratch. Just to experiment, i have some injectors and sensors laying around

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
just a carb single plane, gut the regulator and run external with a tpi or vortec fuel pump, 083 heads are a cheap effective choice. k1102 cam-k1104 are pretty commonly used. otherwise something like stock lt1 cam for a roller application would be a good choice. the hard part is making the TBI blow through.

now if your going MPFI on the cheap id run the same setup, if you can weld weld some injector bungs on a vic JR or older wieind intake. or option 2. buy the Assualt ebay intake, rail, throttle body setup, stuff some flex fuel LS injectors in it and an 0411 computer in it. vortec timing cover crank reluctor and sensor and modify a vortec harness. easy to do and effective. tuning parameters for boost are all there as well

arrg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im planning to run this with port injection, have access to a machine shop so i will probably modify the TBI intake or just build a new intake from scratch. Just to experiment, i have some injectors and sensors laying around
You'll likely have air distribution problems if you try to convert the dual plane tbi intake to mpfi. That and it would be like running a restrictor plate on your engine.

now if your going MPFI on the cheap id run the same setup, if you can weld weld some injector bungs on a vic JR or older wieind intake. or option 2. buy the Assualt ebay intake, rail, throttle body setup, stuff some flex fuel LS injectors in it and an 0411 computer in it. vortec timing cover crank reluctor and sensor and modify a vortec harness. easy to do and effective. tuning parameters for boost are all there as well
--This would be the cheapest way to go mpfi with boost over here, but I don't know what parts availability for the vortec stuff is like over there in Sweden.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There's more to cam choice then just the engine. Intended use, gearing, torque converter, etc. Like said go directly to the source and talk to a cam grinder and the cam grinder is going to want to know the other variables. Most of the big names Comp, Crane what-have you will more then likely steer you to a shelf cam. Bullet or Oregon Cam and some others might take the time to set you up with something a little better

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
oh hes in sweden? makes this even harder. I have dont a remote mount supercharger on a TBI, id say dont do it. there is however a guy on GMFS that had a red bedlinered 2 door tahoe on 20s that ended up going multi port turbo 383 with his 94 using stock harness and computer.