Chevy 350 TBI Seized?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

treynol4

Reaction score
Hello - my son has a 1989 k1500 with a 5.7 350 TBI. Recently had distributor and intake manifold gasket changes. Truck has been running great (best it has since we owned it)- it did have a little knock on startup but nothing crazy. Driving down the road the other day about 55-60 and engine quite. Couldn't jump and barely turned over -we did get it to turn over a few tiems but slowly. Towed it home took batter out and had it tested - it was fine - charged it to 100% and put it back in. Tried to start and pretty much the same slow just barely turned but one the last try it picked up (turned over a good 3-4 times)- still on the slow side and i thought it was going to start. That was the last time it turned over - now when i try turn it over it just clunks at the starter.

I ended up taking the plugs out and try to start - nothing - also tried to rock the motor back and forth with a breaker bar and it won't budge either way. i did end up taking the starter out even though i really didn't think it was an issue and it tested out fine. The spark plugs were a little on the orange side but dry and no deposits (fairly new plugs). next thing i am going to try is to remove the timing chain cover to see if that could have possibly broke and bound up. Just had oil changed and while its defintley on the black side - i do not see any antifreeze in it and it smells fine. Truck did not smoke and seemed to run very well before this happened. Again it had a little knock on startup and the only other thing i can think of to mention is the truck has always had a slow start in the morning that we could never pinpoint. it would just turn over an extra 3-4 times to start. only happend in the morning and was good th rest of the day.

any other suggestions- i would be surprised if the engine was seized but it defintely what it's acting like?

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I' m trying to figure where to go , but everything stops with " a little knock on startup".
Automatic? Out of gear? Good starter?
Engine will not turnover with a socket and ratchet on crank nut? If not, that's it your done.

tpass

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The timing chain is a long shot, it's probably bottom end damage. If you can't turn it by the crank pulley/bolt then it's time to pull the oil pan and have a look.