Cheap ways to fix/look decent?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CrashCarson

Reaction score
Got a wrecked truck. Passenger side doesn't look too great. Drives fine and all, just had the intake manifold gasket replaced. I plan to go to a junkyard really soon (within the next week) and look for a new wheel at the least. I'm wanting to have a matching color door, so if I can find a clean one at the junkyard I'll get it. The front fender isn't dented at all, but I don't know if getting just that painted or one used would be cheapest. The back can I've read can come off, is that right? What kind of a job is it? I found the cab corners for cheap online (any used will probably be rusted) and may know someone who can weld it for me.

Not able to get a full paint job right now, and I've heard the Macco stuff isn't very good. Of course going to a junkyard might not even have parts in black color. I don't need it to look great...but Decent. Any ideas or prices? Not sure what things should run.
You must be registered for see images attach

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Fixing cab corners is a hell of a job.

CrashCarson

Reaction score
Well then that may not be an option to do...not sure. Plan to at least find a new wheel tomorrow

Does anyone know if the quarter panel under the rear windows come off? what kind of a job is it?

chrmar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A replacement cab corner runs from the door to the back of the cab and up as high as the trim. As for the area between the trim and the window, you can either try to pop the dent out from the inside or replace with a piece cut from another truck.

CrashCarson

Reaction score
Any ideas on cost to repaint the part between the trim and window, assuming cab corners are ok and dent is out?

Looks like a door is gonna run about $150, fender for $60 (I'm assuming that's cheaper than labor to sand and repaint), and when for about $50. I have the original wheel but it's dented on the edge, took it in and said it can't be repaired since it's an alloy.
Biggest problem is the back side of the cab. Any idea if that can or taken off? Whole side including the part above the rear window?

Last edited:

lester622

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would get a new/used extended cab panel and splice it in the middle of the extended cab window, No since in splicing a cab corner into a destroyed panel. The fender look scuffed but not dented at least from the picture. Door needs to be replaced. The only problem with only repainting those parts is since the truck is black it will stand out bad since i'm sure the original paint was not kept up.

Id say $2k to do all I mentioned above and paint those parts.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Id say $2k to do all I mentioned above and paint those parts.

IMO that's a fairly low estimate for all that, I'd expect higher from the shops I frequent. Nothing about that damage looks cheap to fix, sorry to say.

CrashCarson

Reaction score
Well sh*t. I guess I'll have to accept this. I'll get a new(used) door and a wheel at the least. Yeah the fender paint is just scraped off, but no dents. That cab is the worst part and the hardest to fix. If I can hit a good portion of that dent out I'll be happy.

Paint is...well black and 18 years old. Not great.

poncho62

Old Fart
Reaction score
Put a couple of parts on it, knock out the dents a bit and drive it. Keep an eye out for another truck with a good cab and you can either fix that with parts from yours or the other way around.

BTW....from your screen name, I must ask.....Did you crash it?

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll tell you the same thing i told my son. Absolute easiest way, and it may be the cheapest way, is to just get a cab from the wreckers and swap the whole cab. No body work, just a bunch of un bolting and bolting back on.