Easiest way to pull the engine/trans?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've been gather parts to replace the engine in my '88 GMC K2500. The truck has the 5.7 and SM465. I will be working in my driveway, so no access to a lift. I have a engine hoist, floor jack and the usual assortment of hand and power tools. I really don't want to separate the trans from the engine, I don't want to play the 'balancing' act of the floor jack. It's no problem to drop the t-case, so I'm wondering if there's enough room to pull the engine /trans through the hood opening or if I should pull the core support and pull the engine/trans straight out that way. I also need to reinstall the engine/NV4500 in together, again because I don't want to fight that heavy pig of a transmission by myself and balancing on a floor jack.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Remove the entire front clip, it is easier than removing the core support alone. Pull the hood, unhook the wiring harness from the fire wall, remove the 8 bolts at the rear and top of the fenders(4 per side) remove the core support cushion bolt nuts, set the battery on the ground(extra weight that you don't need to lift) and get a couple of friends to help lift the front clip off,OR, sling it up and lift it off with the crane.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Exactly what has been said about the core support/front clip. The only safe way and not hard. Take pics of your steps as you take it all apart.

Get an assortment of smaller zip loc bags. Get a sharpie. As you remove nuts/bolts/fasteners, store in the bags and mark the bags as to where the items came from. Also, as you do this, lay them out in the order you took them off/apart. Reverse that order as you reassemble. You will thank me for this recommendation.

Recently I did a complete engine and transmission and transfer case removal and reinstall and had the entire front clip/core out of a 2006 F150 4x4 5.4 engine. Marking and setting in order made it all very smooth. See the Garage section for my thread about all this.

Last edited:

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Remove the entire front clip, it is easier than removing the core support alone. Pull the hood, unhook the wiring harness from the fire wall, remove the 8 bolts at the rear and top of the fenders(4 per side) remove the core support cushion bolt nuts, set the battery on the ground(extra weight that you don't need to lift) and get a couple of friends to help lift the front clip off,OR, sling it up and lift it off with the crane.
Interesting.... wasn't aware this was possible with these rigs.