Cheap Homemade Tonneau Cover - Good For Temporary Use.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I decided to build myself a tonneau cover, since I don't have $250+ for one, and I don't have the time to wait for one either. So here's what I got for you.

Supplies:
2x 20' inch angled steel. 1/8" thick.
-cut into 4x 8' sections, and 2x 4' sections.
2x 4x8 Wood (However you like it)

And for the way that I wanted it:
2x Long Hinges
2x Snapping locks

and... a Welder, and a grinder, and numerous sheet metal screws, and bolts.
Also, if you want to seal it tight, you can get foam tape to put between the wood adn the steel. You can also seal the wood itself with a vinyl covering, or water deterrant spray, or anything that suits you.

And since I know you guys want pics...
You must be registered for see images attach

^^^just held up the steel next to the bedside and marked it and cut at a 45* angle

^^^they're two different lengths in the picture, but we did match them up after a little grinding.

^^^measured the piece that runs parallel to the tailgate, and cut the edges at a 45* angle as well, and welded them in. Don't worry, I'm gonna grind them down tomorrow.

^^^Ran a piece above the front bed rail in an L shape, and that will be the front edge of the tonneau cover.

^^^Ran two pieces of steel across the middle at 2' intervals from the front of the bed. the second cross member will be where I have my hinges to open up the back end of the tonneau cover. All of the steel was cut from the two 20' pieces of angled steel

One thing that I did notice is that the inside of the bed rails seem to taper, as the cross members got shorter as they moved farther back. So if you plan to do this as well, remember that the lengths of the cross members will be different. Will try to update tomorrow as I continue to work on it..

OK guys...got it done last night and drove it around on new years. No wind noise what so ever even though it is home made.

^^when i welded it on tuesday, we did not have a grinder yet, so i ground down the welds today.

^^used 1/8" drill bit and 5/32" drill bit and #8 5/8" sheetmetal screws. Screwed the frame on the insides of the frame rails every 12". I did not screw teh front edge of the frame on to the front bedrail due to having to bolt down the wood on it anyways.

^^bolted the wood down to the frame using the same drillbits and same sheetmetal screws. I counter sunk the holes with 5/8" drill bit. Remember that the bed is tapered and loses about 2 inches in width from the front of the bed to the back.

^^put in hinges partway back so i would have a partial folding tonneau. The bolted down piece measured 4' and the hinged section measured 31" from the hinge to the middle of the tailgate. I just bought these hinges at Runnings (Campbell Supply, Tractor Supply Company)

^^Bought these snaps at Runnings as well. Used a 5/8" piece of wood as a support for the base of the snap. The snaps are a little tighter than normal, but thats the way I wanted it so that way it wouldnt rattle open running down the highway at 80 mph.

Just a reminder, this cover is homemade, and wasn't made for show quality. Function over form when your on a college budget. Overall this project cost me:

2x 20' pieces of L shaped 1"x1/8" metal - $32 dollars cut.
2x 4x8 7/16" particle board - $12
1x Hinge set - $5
1x Snap set - $5
1x box of #8 5/8" sheetmetal screws - $4
Overall this project cost me 58 dollars.

A far cry from my %250 dollar tonneau cover. And while it may not be of great quality, I really like it and think I did a pretty good job on it. Plus, I only used it until I got a truxport tonneau cover last summer.

Last edited:

TLoud

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sweet write up now just covr that plywood with some vinyl and it'd be much more durable!

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Did you seal that board with anything? If not, get ready for swelling.

Nice job!
If you can get someone, (or if you have the technology), to router the edges of the wood so that they don't have sharp corners & then cover it with some vinyl.
I'd be more than happy to help you through that process, if you need.
OSB + Water = not happy.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
I think solid wood would be pretty cool and waterproof (with the proper assembly/joints.ect)