Cat and muffler options on a '99 Suburban (K2500, 4WD with the 7.4L / 454 engine)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oifla

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a stock 1999 Suburban (K2500, 4WD with the 7.4L/454 engine).

The truck needs one of the catalytic converters replaced and I figured that while I'm into one, I might as well replace the other and update the muffler.

ANy recommendations on catalytic/piping/muffler combinations?

I'm would like to open the exhaust up a bit as the stock muffler seems very restrictive but I'm not seeing a whole lot of info on what is available. I think I'm going to go 2.5" catalytics and 3" piping and muffler after that but I am posting/asking because I am not set on that. Would appreciate any thoughts / experiences with cats/exhaust set-ups on the 7.4L

Thanks!

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
I usually use Magnaflow Catalytic Converters and I like a straight through design muffler. Lately on my last 2 exhaust setups, ive used Vortex Cherry Bomb mufflers. I think they sound as good if not better then a Flowmaster and flow better as well.

Reaction score
I just put a magnaflow cat and muffler on my truck. and just did a simple turn down right after the muffler. I prefer the look of no pipe out the back and the magnaflow sounds very good. I personally think magnaflow is about the best quality for cats and mufflers.

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
Had a Flowmaster for years and was getting tired of it,went to an 18'' Magnaflow and love it.Nice sound but not obnoxious.

Shiny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I put a flowmaster on mine with a 4" tail pipe.