cast iron

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

70stroker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyone out there know any good ways to cut cast iron? I am working on making an old blown up sbc into a bbq grill, I got the block gutted by taking a cutoff wheel and cutting notches then using a huge hammer to knock it out. I am tryin to gut the heads to make the top lighter, and its alot tighter clearences in there so not enough room for the grinder.

I know this is odd ball question, and i know the bbq thing has been done already, i know im not the creator of this idea.

Thanks in advance.

NAST96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well i work for an hvac company and we use a cut off wheel. We also use in tighter spots a sawzall and a blade by millwaukie (sp) called The Torch. It seems to last the longest. idk if this will help any but its worth a shot.

Edit: this is for cast iron pipe though. same theory in my thoughts tho. but a torch should work too.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cool! you need to post pics of it when you're done.

I would think it would be pretty hard to do without a cutoff wheel. you could try the sawzall like nast mentioned, but I wonder how long the blades would last going through cast. you could try a dremel with some small dremel cutoff wheels. I've used the harbor freight dremel sized cutoff wheels and they seem to work better and last longer than the dremel ones.

NAST96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^^^^^agreed. you go through alot of sawzall blades but if thats all you can get into the area than thats what you have to do.

70stroker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got it done enough to grill tonight, worked great heres some pics

You must be registered for see images attach