Carpet on Bottom of Door Panels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smalfrey

Reaction score
It took some time but i got mine done. I took and cut all the carpet off painted the speaker grill then recovered it with full quill ostrich. Came out better than I ever expected it would.
You must be registered for see images attach

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Guys, I apologize. I have been pretty busy lately & nothing has come across my bench, nor have I had a moment to lay something out. Please be patient. I haven't forgotten. I HAVE been thinking about something to show you that's relevant. Winter's comin'. Lotsa time in the shop!

Summer has it's distractions. I'm a single guy, so I gotta keep checking the trap line.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It took some time but i got mine done. I took and cut all the carpet off painted the speaker grill then recovered it with full quill ostrich. Came out better than I ever expected it would.

Holy ****. I was about to explain exactly what I want to do but no need to explain your door is exactly what I was talking about. I have all the exact same parts already painted black but I need to do the upper insert black like you've done and the bottom....And you say you "cut" the carpet out? Didn't you have to completely remove the door panel? Then was it as simple as pulling out the old and wrapping it with the new stuff and getting it tight?

I want to do this sooo bad but I'm just not really clear on the exact process there are no write up's or pics but I think that makes a HUGE difference. I hate that carpet on the bottom. You say the bottom is ostrich quill??? What about the top isn't that just black leather? I have no idea what the hell quill ostrich is but I love it!

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
:waytogo:

REAL ostrich? For as common as that is, it's some of the most expensive materials that I've worked with. Some of the nicest & most forgiving, too.
I like the insert in the upper portion. NICE detail! Way cool! If an employee of mine did that with my shop's name on it...well, he'd be going home Friday night with a 24 o' brewski's!

T DOG

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Looks great! I was looking at that carpet piece the other day wondering to myself "why did the factory do that? looks kind of ugly and out of place." This looks much better!

smalfrey

Reaction score
The top portion was done whne i had the seats redone by the local classic soft trim shop. They recoved the front seats and rear seat as well as switching out the upper sections. It looks like that was a piece that they glued over the factory insert. As far as removing the carpet on the bottom that was a pain. I started by taking a straight razor and cutting behind the carpet and pulling at away. There is no way to remove the panels withoutcutting the door panels totally apart and I had no idea on how to get them back together. After working for hours and getting no where i finally took a flap wheel on a grinder with a flap wheel and carefully ground the carpet back to a bare panel. Once that was all clraned up and smoothed down you should be able to glue the fabric to the panel. There is a nice little groove around the entire piece that you can tuck the leather into and it finishes out nicely

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
:hmm: Perfect so you don't even have to remove the door panel to lay the fabric on the bottom and top? That's going to be weird grinding down the carpet lol

2smokey

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
how did you get the wrinkled look up top on the other part thats wrapped?i like that look