Cargo lights.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

19-Silverado-98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have searched and I cannot seem to find the answer I want. Everyone is saying there not working dome lights must be on. Well I think this is stupid. And want to make it to where mine don't need to be on. Just flip the switch and they come on. Has anyone done this? I've talked to a guy about it. He does a lot of electrical work. And he said I would have to ground out one of the white wires to the light and it should work. Well his should kinda makes me skeptical about doing that.
You must be registered for see images attach

The wiring schematic. Any info would be excellent. I have my headliner out right now so I can refabric it. So I can see everything.

19-Silverado-98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
But I have a black wire. A blue/white wire. And 2 all white wires. So how do I go about finding which one to ground?

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
See how where the wires come out of the "light" on the diagram, and they are labeled A, B, C and D.... The plug will have the same markings. The white wire that runs the cargo light should be in cavity A. You need to either find another ground or splice it in with the black brake ground wire in cavity B.

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
Yup, gotta ground that wire. Speaking of this, when I changed out my stock 3rd brake light for the LED one, my cargo light only came on with the switch. Took the old light off and found the white wire grounded on it. Put my LED one in there and now it works like factory, where it comes on with your dome light. I liked using the switch, but I also like that it comes on when I open the door.

Sent from my Vortec Powered iPhone using Tapatalk

19-Silverado-98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok. I know nothing about electronics. So what is the other white wire for? If black is ground. And the blue/white I would guess is power. The other white would also be power?

19-Silverado-98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well. So to figure out which section it came from I just need to pull the third brake light out and follow the white wire from the passenger side cab light? And then cut the black wire and splice the white with the black wire I just cut. And put heat shrink on it?