Carbon fiber hoods??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

USAF_Slacker

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah i know its kinda ricey but i wasnt sure.. i just keep having an image of a cowl with a 2" rise but carbon fiber and it seems kinda nice in my head but i wasnt sure. wanted to see a pic before i put anymore thought into it

Poser

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it could look ok If used properly, on the right truck. I hate the look of it unpainted, but every once in a while, I'll see one on a street car that just works for it. I think if it fit's the "attitude" of the truck or whatever, it could work. Why not?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Only a handful of cars ever came from the factory with fiberglass hoods. Mostly muscle cars that were really just disguised race cars with plates. The reason? Fiberglass holds in the heat. On 1/4 milers, the cars didn't run long enough for this to effect them. Weight was the priority. Muscle cars (on the street) that had fiberglass hoods, had a venting system of some type. Scoops, vents, etc. Carbon fiber is really just fiberglass with an outer layer of carbon mat. This is for the added strength that carbon adds, without adding weight. Always run a steel hood. your engine will be much happier!
Had my 2" cowl hood wrapped in '3M Di-Noc' when I first got it. A carbon-fiber-look vinyl. Same idea as what the sign shops use for vehicle advertising wraps. Comes in a couple of different colors. I used the semi-gloss black. Now, I've been doing upholstery for a l-o-n-g time. Installed vinyl roofs on vehicles that have been stretched 60-72". Made tonneaus from scratch. Boat tops, etc. Never, & I mean NEVER, have I had a material fight me every inch of the way. 6 hours to get a third of the hood covered. Aaaargh!!! Very frustrating. Ended up taking it to a shop that does this on a daily basis. They estimated a day to do it. Took 2, & even then it didn't fit right. Couldn't get it to snuggle down nice & tight into the 2 grooves on either side of the hood. Looked good from 10'. But because the material is porous, which apparently helps it conform to body shapes, the small areas where it didn't fit quite tight, began to fill with water when the truck was driven in the rain. (where I live is called the 'wet coast' for a reason!) Double Aaaargh!!! Every time I got home, I had to open the hood all way, in order for it to drain out the grooves. Doing this became old pretty quick. I got bored with look after a while, too. Got lots of comments, both pro & con, but after a couple of months, I ended up taking it off. EXPENSIVE lesson.

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score
rice rice baby.

Thanks, now that's stuck in my head....... now stop and listen, rice is back with a brand new invention

I've had fiberglass hoods before and I noticed that they bow/warp over time..

When I put the steel cowl hood on my truck I did notice that it seemed MUCH lighter than the stock hood

GT_80

Always Tinkerin'
Reaction score
most carbon fiber hoods I have seen have been ill fitting, and made from crappy molds, many do not have hardware to bolt to the hinges, and because they are lighter, you need different springs sometimes. I hate them personally. They look silly- If I had one, I would paint it. But I wouldn't buy one. I'd buy a steel cowl if I get a new one.