Carb 350 Into 94 K2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

James_Raatz

Reaction score
I have a K2500 with a tbi 350 looking to swap an already built mild carbed 350 in. I’m trying to keep the interior as functional as possible but have as little wiring possible what do I do. Also transmission wise not sure if I should go with a th400 or 700r4 (currently has 4l60e)

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why are you using a carburetor instead of the TBI?

If the block is older and doesn't have the TBI intake bolt pattern, you can get a TBI to carb adapter.

If the engine is significantly cammed, I understand ditching the TBI. If you swap to a TH400 or 700R4 you won't need to do anything with the wiring, but I don't think your computer will control a 700R4's torque converter clutch lockup. If you had an earlier truck with a 4L60 (not 4L60e), you'd be in the gravy because the TCC lockup would still work.

James_Raatz

Reaction score
Why are you using a carburetor instead of the TBI?

If the block is older and doesn't have the TBI intake bolt pattern, you can get a TBI to carb adapter.

If the engine is significantly cammed, I understand ditching the TBI. If you swap to a TH400 or 700R4 you won't need to do anything with the wiring, but I don't think your computer will control a 700R4's torque converter clutch lockup. If you had an earlier truck with a 4L60 (not 4L60e), you'd be in the gravy because the TCC lockup would still work.
Yep its got a pretty moderate cam and I’m looking to go all mechanical as I have had no luck with 3 different tbi systems

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are your cam specs?

What do you mean by "no luck"? A lack of power past half throttle, or drivability problems you're having trouble diagnosing?

James_Raatz

Reaction score
What are your cam specs?

What do you mean by "no luck"? A lack of power past half throttle, or drivability problems you're having trouble diagnosing?
Lack of power everywhere/bogs down while idling, refuses to start under 65 F, now it no longer starts replaced all sensors, adjusted timing, different computers, no vacuum leaks, good oil pressure when it did run, didn't overheat. I am going to swap it either way as I now have a th400 and 350 waiting.

James_Raatz

Reaction score
Lack of power everywhere/bogs down while idling, refuses to start under 65 F, now it no longer starts replaced all sensors, adjusted timing, different computers, no vacuum leaks, good oil pressure when it did run, didn't overheat. I am going to swap it either way as I now have a th400 and 350 waiting.
o
What are your cam specs?

Only code it throws is O2

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you see a nice cone of fuel spraying from both TBI injectors? The plugs are chintzy garbage, and the wiring gets old.

If you're set on a carb, I won't dissuade you. I'd run the red fuel injector wire to the electric choke. It stays hot so long as the key is on. You can use the stock small cap HEI with a single wire if you just want locked timing, or you can swap in a large cap HEI and run the power wire from the small cap right to the power input on the distributor. Tape off all the extra wires and connectors.

A TH400 will need a vacuum line to the vacuum modulator. It will also need a kickdown switch on the throttle somewhere, and that will be a DIY project.

A 700R4 will need a TV cable. I can't remember if the '94 has a spot for it on the throttle bracket. If not, go to the treasure yard and get a '88-92 throttle bracket and cable. You absolutely cannot run the 700R4 without it. You can adapt the torque converter clutch to work without the computer - a quick google search will give you dozens of links on how to do it. Note that earlier 700R4s need a 3-4 pressure switch added to the valve body, but the late 700R4s/4L60s have it. Run a hot wire to a TCI vacuum switch, wire that switch in series with the 3-4 pressure switch, and bam!, you have TCC lockup.

One more note on TBI vs carb:
Lack of power everywhere/bogs down while idling
If you're bogging down while idling, you have an issue to diagnose and fix. If it ran fine but bogged down with heavy throttle application, the TBI is inadequate and it makes sense to switch fuel systems.

My cam specs:
Lift: 0.507 int./0.515 exh.
Duration @ .050": 211 int./219 exh.
LSA: 112

The factory TBI ran great - until half throttle. It didn't flow enough fuel, even after I bumped up the fuel pressure. The tools to burn new chips cost half the price of a Holley Sniper (at the time). I went Holley and fixed all the TBI problems, and then experienced Holley problems.

James_Raatz

Reaction score
Do you see a nice cone of fuel spraying from both TBI injectors? The plugs are chintzy garbage, and the wiring gets old.

If you're set on a carb, I won't dissuade you. I'd run the red fuel injector wire to the electric choke. It stays hot so long as the key is on. You can use the stock small cap HEI with a single wire if you just want locked timing, or you can swap in a large cap HEI and run the power wire from the small cap right to the power input on the distributor. Tape off all the extra wires and connectors.

A TH400 will need a vacuum line to the vacuum modulator. It will also need a kickdown switch on the throttle somewhere, and that will be a DIY project.

A 700R4 will need a TV cable. I can't remember if the '94 has a spot for it on the throttle bracket. If not, go to the treasure yard and get a '88-92 throttle bracket and cable. You absolutely cannot run the 700R4 without it. You can adapt the torque converter clutch to work without the computer - a quick google search will give you dozens of links on how to do it. Note that earlier 700R4s need a 3-4 pressure switch added to the valve body, but the late 700R4s/4L60s have it. Run a hot wire to a TCI vacuum switch, wire that switch in series with the 3-4 pressure switch, and bam!, you have TCC lockup.

One more note on TBI vs carb:

If you're bogging down while idling, you have an issue to diagnose and fix. If it ran fine but bogged down with heavy throttle application, the TBI is inadequate and it makes sense to switch fuel systems.

My cam specs:
Lift: 0.507 int./0.515 exh.
Duration @ .050": 211 int./219 exh.
LSA: 112

The factory TBI ran great - until half throttle. It didn't flow enough fuel, even after I bumped up the fuel pressure. The tools to burn new chips cost half the price of a Holley Sniper (at the time). I went Holley and fixed all the TBI problems, and then experienced Holley problems.
Bone stock motor bogged no matter what including idle.