Cannot connect Key Fob to truck.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
I have a 1996 k1500 RCSB with the vortec 350 and nv3500 5 speed. But that is beside the point.

I have a key fob for my truck (it was one the previous owner had bought but he had not been able to get it to connect.

I have seen YouTube videos of people hot wiring the 4 and 8 ports in the OBD2 scanner port, when they connect the ports to each other the locks cycle then they hold the lock and unlock buttons simultaneously on the key fob and it connects it to the vehicle. This has not worked for me. When I hot wire the 4 and 8 ports there is no cycling of the locks. I have tried it with the ignition on and off.

Also the clicker I have has a gm part number. But it is an AC Delco OEM replacement and it says on the website "scanner required" but I have seen people do the pin thing.

If anyone has some insight on this I would appreciate any advice.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
Hmm wish I had some advice for you... I've programmed them a few times with the paperclip method with no problem.
Yeah the paperclip. That's what I meant by hot wire.

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
Does your truck have the RPO code for keyless entry? I think it is AUO.
Oh I haven't even thought of that. That's a great idea I'll check. I have the window sticker and it says keyless I believe.