Cannot bleed clutch hydraulic system....Please HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

90K1/2ton

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Replaced the leaking slave cylinder in my truck. Installed it "dry." Hooked everything back up like it should be and began to bleed the system using my mityvac. Pulled nearly 12fl of of fluid through the bleeder valve and was still getting lots of air bubbles and the clutch pedal had little to no resistance. Found that an air bubble had developed in the upper rear portion of my master cylinder. Jacked the front of the truck up.... Problem solved(the air bubble in the master cylinder.) proceeded to pull nearly 24fl of of fluid from the bleeder valve and was still getting air bubbles. Not quite as much but still there. Pedal is still extremely soft. I've been at this for nearly 2 hours since removing the air bubble from my master. What am I doing wrong?

Procedure for the mity vac has been

Pump it up until I get approximately 40(can't remember units) of vac, crack open bleeder valve, pump until my hand gets tired and close it before I stop pumping.

Should I not be pumping with the valve open?

Thank you,
A very frustrated gmt400 owner

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What year?? Couple I've had issues with at work.. keep the slave hooked up to the hose that goes up to the master but unbolted from the truck and keep your masters cap off... push the slave in by hand and let it come back out by its self a bunch of times...... the air will travel up so you do not havd to fight the air down... you don't even have to touch your clutch pedal till the very end..

sent from what use to be a great nation...

90K1/2ton

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update

Talked to a few colleagues and received the following suggestions:

-Use the Mityvac but don't actively pump while bleeder valve is open. Just build vacuum, crack valve and close before vacuum is gone
-Bleed using conventional pedal pumping method
-Gravity bleed
-Unbolt slave cylinder and compress slave "plunger/piston" by hand (recommended by magimerlin^)
-Buy a prefilled/pre-bled clutch hydraulic system
-offered by LMC truck for $160. However, it is listed for 92-95 model years.

Does anyone know if there are any mechanical/operational differences between the clutch hydraulic system for 1990 and 1992-95?

Thank you,
Eric

90K1/2ton

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fixed using method recommended by magimerlin. Back on the road. Thanks.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No problem.... glad it worked out for you...

sent from what use to be a great nation...