Can you prime the oil in a block only setup?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
I'm getting a fully rebuilt block from a buddy of mine. It's been sitting for about 5 years and is still in great condition, barely a fleck of rust on any of it.

Once I start putting the thing together I know I'll need to rotate the crank for this and that, I'm concerned about scoring the bearings since it hasnt seen oil in some time. If I prime the oil pump without heads on it, will it get oil to the bearings, or just make a big mess? Either way, I'll be pouring oil over every exposed part and give a good coating underneath before I install the oil pan.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
use lucas oil treatment it is thick and sticky and would be your best bet,I would say when it was assembled the bearings were coated with assembly lube but most likely is dried up by now

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would probably take it apart and lube the bearings. Yes it's time consuming but it's cheap insurance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rusty Nail

Artificial membership inflator
Reaction score
Lol take it apart?! You can do it with a screwdriver! Simply remove the distributor and operate the oil pump... There is an actual "oil pump primer" tool or you can do it with a long flathead screwdriver....remove the handle and chuck it in a drill, same thing.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Mr.+Gasket/720/3795G/10002/-1

Whatever you do, don't rotate the engine counter-clockwise, not even a little bit.
There is ZERO need to "coat every exposed part" with oil. If it'll make you feel any better, after you get it primed prior to starting, unplug the distributor and operate the starter. You could even look in the valve cover until you SEE oil and then plug it back in and fire it up. That way you would ensure your lifters are pumped up.

Last edited:

cjman250

Last Of A Dying Breed
Reaction score
Why do you say not to turn it counter clockwise?

Sent from my awesome S5

Rusty Nail

Artificial membership inflator
Reaction score
You run the risk of flipping the rings upside down and you'll have a GUARANTEED oil burner. Seriously, don't do it.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
He said it isn't together so you can't prime it because oil would go everywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

heavychevy98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The rings just move up and down in the cylinder. I don't think it would matter what direction you turn the crank as far as "flipping" the rings goes???

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score

My thoughts exactly... Pretty sure a ring can't "flip upside down" inside the cylinder. It does not matter which way the crank is turned. They make reverse rotation engines, only thing different is the camshaft and the firing order is backwards, and the starter turns it the other way. I would assume you need to pull it back down and re-assembly lube everything. Better save than sorry.