Can you prime the oil in a block only setup?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Really? Please tell me that's a joke?

If not, you realize the pistons go up an down in the bores regardless of which way you turn the crank right?

I would like to see how a square ring in a square slot turns upside down.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
And without the tool or a homemade distributor primer tool, you can't make any oil pressure. All the oil just dumps out the passage that goes thru the distributor and back into the oil pan if you use a screwdriver. You can do this to prime a oil pump, but its not going to prime the engine because the oil will not have any resistance to flow and it will find the easiest way out. It will not prime the bearings. To do this properly, you need OIL PRESSURE. Otherwise, oil pressure wouldn be a big deal. I have seen an engine that was done like yours, put up in the corner of a shop after a rebuild, lock the engine up and destroy the crank and main bearings because the assembly lube was liquid, and not a grease type assembly lube, and ran off the bearings.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
You run the risk of flipping the rings upside down and you'll have a GUARANTEED oil burner. Seriously, don't do it.

You must be from the 402?

How do you think your truck backs up when you put it in reverse?

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
Soooo....

I was thinking about it, and as long as the block has an oil pan, timing cover, oil pressure sending unit, cam and lifters, there shouldnt be a mess. All the heads do, as far as oil systems go, is return the oil to the bottom, after it is fed by the lifters/pushrods. So, coating everything with engine oil, and the cylinders with a light oil, should get oil into all the bearings.

Either way, a complete inspection of the bottom end will happen, as well as a torque check.

As far as the counter clockwise thing goes, I would expect it has more the do with a fully assembled engine, not a shortblock. When assembled, the oil pump would run backwards and not feed the engine the oil it needs for bearings and such, maybe even creating a vacuum that will pull air into some of the passages, possibly causing cavitation on some level. A shortblock, however, wont spin the oil pump since there is no distributor.

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
oh, and the counter clockwise thing with the oil pump would really only apply if you went backwards a lot, a little bit here and there doesnt matter, for setting timing and such.

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
Got the block today. It's in good shape overall. Has Nylen 30 over pistons in it, so you know it's been a minute since the rebuild. Slapped it on the stand, sprayed it down with Wd40 and wrapped it in a trashbag. Will start the teardown within a week or 2.