Can you prime the oil in a block only setup?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

woody31

Banned
Reaction score
prime time

in short,,yes,,however,,if it is a long block,,,you need to prime it with a old extra distributor in place,,reason is,,you have to have dizzy in place to redirect oil to the passages to get oil to the lifter galley,,bores,,,

if it is a short block,,i would take it apart,,check it all out, double check clearance,,re assemble with proper break in lube,,,

seems like your doing lots of research and planning???///====strong running long lasting motor,,

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
But in short, if you put a distributor, camshaft, fuel pump, timing cover, oil pan, and lifters in it, it could be primed. Not worth the risk of scuffing a bearing that may take many miles to show up, then prompt you to pull the engine again to fix it or worse... All those parts have to be in it to make it build oil pressure.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Exactly my thoughts but some genius thought I was an idiot for my statement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

98_k1500

Reaction score
Its not worth wiping out the bearings and ruining an engine over an extra hour of work (if you have never done it before) and $5 worth of white lithium grease or asembly lube.

slippy3002

Master Machinist
Reaction score
If it is a long block, it should have been put together with a quality assembly lube.

Sent from Robl@nd

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
I'll probably just take it apart, clean, lube, reassemble. Since time is there, might as well make sure. Before that, just for kicks, I'll run the oil pump and see what kind of mess I can make :head3:

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
But it's been sitting for 5 years. I don't know how long assembly lube stays on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

98_k1500

Reaction score
It won't make a mess if the timin cover and oil pan are on it, but it won't prime everything either.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
if you have an old distributor laying around you can make a tool to prime the pump in it? pull the old distribuot apart and use the main shaft as a drill extension.

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
I'm gonna get a primer tool with the extra piece in it to get oil up top, for the final prime. To try and see what happens wuth no heads I'll probably just use a screwdriver.