Can someone explain CatBack to me?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98greenatalie

Reaction score
I'm wanting to completely redo the exhaust system on my 98 GMC Sierra K1500. Right now I have Y pipe. Single in dual out through flowmaster 40series. With cats. It really is not accomplishing the deep growl sound I want. Any advice in a good setup? Thanks very much!!

Purefection

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Custom x pipe or H pipe, no cats, dual in dual out super 44 sounds great. Cats make a big difference in sound.

Cat back is just what it sounds like. It's from the cat, to the back. All the piping and muffler and tip

98greenatalie

Reaction score
I was thinking about doing X pipe and deleting my cats, but without access to a pipe bender it becomes a challenge.

98greenatalie

Reaction score
Has anyone had luck with local muffler shops being good at building up a custom exhaust? I do have short headers on my truck as well

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
yea Id go h-pipe as well... X pipe will not help you achieve a deep growl sound you want.

Tinkerinmatt

Reaction score
You need either an X or H pipe to keep the pressure equal. X pipe and H pipe will give different sounds, H pipe having the more "truck" sound. X pipes are more commonly used in cars.

"Catback" means from the catalytic converter, back to the tailpipe. These are emissions and 50 state legal systems since they do not modify the emissions setup. No aftermarket catalytic converter, or high flow cat, will pass CT or CA emissions. Long tube headers wont pass emissions because the exhaust gasses cool too much to light off the cat. Shortys or stock manifolds are the only ones to pass CA or CT emissions. Other states may be as strict but I only know CT first hand.

98greenatalie

Reaction score
Sounds like H pipe Is the way to go! Anyone have advice about a great muffler. Heard good things about Borla

98greenatalie

Reaction score
And should I have a shop bend this system for me? Or is there a good system already built I can buy complete online?

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Ask around about your local shops, I've had pretty mixed results, from works of art to abortions