Can I remove this without any ill effects?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I replaced all my rotted out brake lines with all new stainless I discovered that I had a fuel line that ran from the tank to this

You must be registered for see images attach

was completely rotted out and not even connected to the gas tank so I cut the majority of the line out. Can I just removed the whole damn thing since it isn't working? My truck is a 1991 so it doesn't require emissions testing.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it was already rotted away and not connected go for it just make sure to plug it by the tbi/carb unit because it's a vacuum leak if not. It's been a vac. leak if it's rotted away because it's purpose is to pull fumes from the tank and suck them into the tbi or carb and put em in and burn em. if it's unhooked or rotted, it's just sucking air.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok so I can just remove all that junk and plug the vac line going into the tbi

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yes sir, it's not doing anything if it was already rusted, might even help you out since basically you had a vac. leak.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
alright then next day off from work I'm ripping all that **** out

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm thinking about taking mine out lol but mines all in working order that I know of. I would have left the line open to vent, but if it was that close to the tank you'd get fumes in the truck, so I think I'd put some rubber hose on it and run it to the front and let it vent. I did that to my 85 monte carlo and dad's 84, just put a rubber line on it and bent it downward, ran it under the vehicle to vent.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
your talking about where it comes out of the tank? right now that line is just sitting there uncapped

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yea, but you might get fumes come out of it and smell it in the cab, I'd hook a piece of rubber hose to it and that would attach it back to the line that runs up front, remove the can, you'll see the metal line that comes up to a 90 degree bend, pointing straight up towards the hood, put ya a piece of rubber line or a breather cap on it, or both, and then I'd bend it down so it points towards the grille, and route it under the inner fender or whatever you want, that's how I did the 84 c10 and the 95 mcss.

seriously thinking of doing my 88 that way, it's line is all pieced together and looks like crap.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well the problem is the hard line that runs from the tank to the canister is rotted away, as in completely gone. My plan was to remove the whole system and just cap off the line coming out of the gas tank and the vacuum line going into the tbi.