Cam upgrade for 1997 Vortec 5.7 L31 with 210k

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trenton

Just a Texan transplanted in the Rockies
Reaction score
I understand the elevation issue! I live and work at 8000-8600 ft elevation (Aspen/Snowmass Village in Colorado) and the elevation sucks a ton of power! Wait until you go off roading and crawl up steep switchbacks all the way to 12,500 feet! My truck had almost no power at that point. It probably doesn't help i have a 5.7L in a one ton CCLB truck on 33s, but oh well.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had no idea that manufacturers weren't popping out (completely) new cams.
Supposedly related to the Virus Originating in the Wuhan Lab, released (intentionally or negligently) into the world in 2019 (VOWL-19). The companies that make the cam cores are running out of stock.

I suppose when things get "back to normal", the prices will come down again...

...maybe.

1ton-o-fun

Automotive Durability Tester
Reaction score
Yeah, we can hope.

As someone who has had COVID-19 (as well as my 3 year old son, wife and mother in law) and works in a hospital, it sure doesn't seem like our version of "normal" will ever be the same. But that's another 50 page thread topic.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had no idea that manufacturers weren't popping out (completely) new cams.
Cam cores doesn't refer to used parts. Cam cores are unfinished camshafts, made cheap in foundaries in China and shipped to cam makers here in the US to put their grind on. The cam manufacturers used to pour their own castings, but it's cheaper to pay some dude in China to take on that danger. They package very tight for their weight vs. volume, and they're not time-sensitive, so you can put them on a slow boat. Nearly all cam makers buy cores from China now.

1ton-o-fun

Automotive Durability Tester
Reaction score
Cam cores doesn't refer to used parts. Cam cores are unfinished camshafts, made cheap in foundaries in China and shipped to cam makers here in the US to put their grind on. The cam manufacturers used to pour their own castings, but it's cheaper to pay some dude in China to take on that danger. They package very tight for their weight vs. volume, and they're not time-sensitive, so you can put them on a slow boat. Nearly all cam makers buy cores from China now.

As much as I'd like to say, "I knew that. I was just kidding!", I'd be lying. I actually went there. :doh2:

97K1500Silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1 Year since this thread started and price is $498.41 https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-24502586

Any other suggestions on cams or what I should upgrade to get the most power for a reasonable price?

Planning on a cam, timing chain, valve springs.

Truck now has 222k on it, runs great but has a loud lifter tap only in freezing or below cold starts for the first minute then goes away. I suppose once I do the engine upgrades, the original transmission will give up the ghost.

I see Blueprint has a new 383 crate motor for 1997 to 2000 but seems like a lot of $$$ for not much more power. They rate the power increase at the rear wheels which means the engine puts out times 20% from their dyno sheet to account for 4WD drivetrain loss?

I started a new thread about it here: https://www.gmt400.com/threads/blue...1996-2000-350-tbi-crate-engine-upgrade.55662/

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Call your favorite cam company.

Seriously.

If you order by what someone tells you on the internet, you have nobody to blame but yourself if it's garbage in your application. I called Lunati, told them I was building a tow pig and could run up to .530" lift. They spec'd the biggest cam that would tow well, which is what I wanted. It has enough torque to drag my son's CVPI sideways. The cam I'd picked was too big and would have been an absolute dog.

Call your favorite cam company.

97K1500Silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Emailed Comp cams for a camshaft recommendation.

I've been hearing complaints about flat tappet cams going flat due to inferior materials being used. Is this a non issue in a roller motor like the L31, or are manufacturers cranking out crap on those as well?