cam swap.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tscherbi

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Whenever I do a cam I add a zinc addative to help break in the cam, probably not that big of deal with a roller set. I have reused the plastic timing cover, I just put a liberal amount of gm gasket maker where the oil pan and timing cover meet. You will have to loosen the oil pan to get the timing cover off. I would also change and run a double roller cam chain just my 2 cents.

tscherbi

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would be interested on a build thread for what your doing, I just like to see what others do. I would also like to know what cam your doing, and what gains you see and mpg. Im a cam junky!!

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
also i have eos lube from work that we drench the camshafts in before installing them. i work for chevy now so it's kinda easy to get stuff like that. This engine has run nothing but synthetic since the 3rd oil change. should i go to conventional for the cam swap?

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Timing cover is needed because they are plastic an it says right on it replace if removed. Trust me I've seen people try to reuse them an they always leak. The Dorman one is only like $32 an comes with gaskets for it an the water pump iirc

tscherbi

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Once you pull your timing cover it reads replace assembly upon removal. I didnt and it doest leak. But for 35 bucks you should just save the head ache and do it. I didnt cause I couldnt get one aftermarket when I did my motor. Keep us updated

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
I do have a build thread but haven't updated it in a while. Noone seemed interested haha

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
I would just get an aftermarket timing cover for it. A steel one that you can replace!