Cam Retard Offset

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjupiter100

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finished putting intake back in in the burb and everything and thought I was careful putting the dist back in, but apparently not careful enough.
Last time I had to do this on the ecsb I ended up buying the scan XL tool & software but the ex took off with the laptop that had it installed and I dont want to spend another $250.
I'm thinking I'm just a tooth off and need to advance - which would be turning it counter clockwise, right?
If its too retarded, it would feel sluggish, right?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can download an android app (DashCommand with the GM add-on PID for your model or CarGauge Pro) and use a bluetooth OBD adapter to read the CMP retard. The app plus adapter would be maybe $50.

If it's throwing a code for the offset, try turning the distributor until the rotor cap screw tab on the driver side is nearly touching the intake. Hope that made sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phat69

Reaction score
The rotor spins clockwise so yes it would advance the timing by turning the body counter clockwise.

jjupiter100

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I spent about 4 hours earlier today taking it out adjusting, replacing, starting it, repeat. probably took it out 70 times, but finally got it and MIL went off. So now I have to get it inspected because registration/inspection expired in June. What a PIA and it was all my own fault.

El Tigre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Take an old distributor cap,and cut a few "windows" in top of cap. Avoiding spark leads. Start truck,and set throttle around 1000 rpm. loosen hold down,and gently rotate back/forth. You will see the spark jumping the gap "lean" in,and out. Set so spark is shooting straight across gap,tighten hold down,re-install proper cap,and you should be good.