C2500 converted to C3500 Daually

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wlofton

Reaction score
Has anyone did this?
I own a 1991 C2500 but want to convert it to a C3500 dually and make it into a short bed.

If so what route do I need to take.

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
ive heard of people put a dually rear axle on their c2500, then in his case, shorten his frame to put a short bed, and have some Dually fenders

tanman_2006

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did a k2500 ecsb 8600gvw 98 454 and stuck dually axles and front hub extensions on for a buddy. He towed his horse trailer all over w/ it.

Not sure I've ever heard a c2500 was the same frame as a 1500. Not saying it is as heavy as a 3500 though.

Source Unknown

wlofton

Reaction score
I did a k2500 ecsb 8600gvw 98 454 and stuck dually axles and front hub extensions on for a buddy. He towed his horse trailer all over w/ it.

Not sure I've ever heard a c2500 was the same frame as a 1500. Not saying it is as heavy as a 3500 though.

Source Unknown

Sorry it I a K2500:sorrysign: It was my dads truck and it is too dam long and a short bed dually is sweet.

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
Different diff

Only problem with swapping the diff and adding flares is you still have a 2500 frame which is almost identical to a 1500 frame

The 2500 frames are quite a bit thicker than the 1500s

Converting a 2500 to a 3500 would be a crapload easier than converting a 1500 to a 2500. I personally would keep the long bed though, short bed duallys look a bit....odd

I don't see an issue with the idea, the biggest pain would be throwing in the dually axle

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
As stated, a 3500 has a much heavier frame than a 2500, there are other differences as well, the transfer case is a stouter borg warner unit, the crossmembers are heavier and stiffer. While you could bolt on the hub extensions and swap out the rear axle, I wouldn't bother.

If you aren't actually towing / loading it heavy and just want it for looks... then knock yourself out. Cut / redrill the frame, install a shorter bed and swing under the heavier axle. Penalties are going to be reduced fuel mileage and $$ parts if you need drums and other brake parts. If you have to buy wheels that could cost you a pretty penny.

A donor truck with the appropriate parts would be the best way to go. You will need an intermediate parking brake cable for sure if you shorten the frame.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
While a 1500 and 2500 frame may look the same and be constructed with the same tensile strength steel, they have a different section modulus.

In layman's terms: real 2500s are "stronger" than 1500s.

The simple calculation looks like this:

RBM = SM X YS

RBM = resistance to bending moment

SM = section modulus

YS = yeild strength

It is much more complicated than that, but the simple equation is good enough for this discussion.

The half and half 1500/2500 trucks I have no idea on. Someone would have to dig up a gm engineer to get the specs they used. I suspect it is the same as a 1500 though since the "LD" 2500 uses a smaller front differential like a 1500. The larger 2500 diff won't fit a 1500 without alterations.

Its been a while since I looked, but I think I recall the 2500 and 3500 had the same SM and YS values. I have no desire to go dig it up again though, that stuff is a fairly closely guarded secret by most OEMS. They don't like to let it out because their competition would use it to thier advantage when designing thier frames.

Gm used to list SM in thier dealer info packages, but it disappeared somewhere around the mid 90's when the "my truck can haul more than yours " wars started. Its a useless number for salesmen anyways, all they could say was it was "bigger" and buyers usually had no clue either. Add to that, SM is a useless number on its own. Its how it effects the calculation that matters. Same as the YS number, useless on its own. Its how it effects the calculation that matters.

Often, you'll see tensile strength noted in add hype. Thats because they're big numbers and they sound really impressive. "New frame made with two hydroformed 45,000 psi tensile strength steel frame rails! Highest in any new 20xx pickup truck!"

Sounds impressive doesn't it? But if the SM is lower on the higher tensile strength steel, the frame could actually be "weaker". A frame with lower tensile strength (is: YS) might actually be "stronger" depending on SM.

Ah, marketing. Give 'em half the truth and get it out the door.....:rolleyes:

Frame design is a science all in itself. Most people don't realize that because they never tax a frame to its limits in day to day use. The OEM's design it that way on purpose for liability reasons as much as anything else.

But those that tow or haul hard, long and heavy would be wise to either not mess with the oem stuff or do a lot of studying before sparking up the welder and sawsall. Chopping, welding and bolting stuff together to get it to fit doesn't mean you'll get the results you expected, there's much more to it than that.....

Same reasons are why a snow plow can crack the boxed front frame on these babies. Yer messin' with the oem design and it doesn't like it....

Personally, if the op wants a dually short box I would say go buy one. They're available, not very expensive (relatively), it will be a full 1 ton truck and he'll be able to confidently load that sucker down without fear of failure or anything "weird" happening.

Or getting pulled over with a heavy load and being questioned about what the gvwr is...cause it will still just be what is on the door placard as far as officials are concerned.

:)

Last edited: