Bummed with AC overhaul

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rook

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My A/c wasn't working, my fix was a bypass pulley and an empty box labeled: "a/c components".

Lol, what do you think I just pulled off?!!?
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It’s got PAG oil, I was trying to fill refrigerant, but the pump won’t engage and the refrigerant doesn’t empty...

With your freon hooked up and everything turned on have you tried bypassing low psi switch ? Usually just dumping freon in is enough to engage switch, but you may need to bypass / jump start low PSI wire to start compressor to get freon started in. Once it has pulled some in plug low psi switch wire back up

crunky944

Reaction score
It’s got PAG oil, I was trying to fill refrigerant, but the pump won’t engage and the refrigerant doesn’t empty...

If the system is under vacuum, and you're saying the refrigerant can isn't emptying... Are you sure you actually pierced the can? Did you turn the can tap back out after piercing the can to open the tap? Is your manifold gauge open to allow refrigerant in?

The first can, or at least part of the can should empty itself right into the system. Also might check to see if your service ports are actually getting opened by your manifold gauge hoses. I've had issues with cheap ac gauges not being able to depress the stupid GM ball style service ports.

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the system is under vacuum, and you're saying the refrigerant can isn't emptying... Are you sure you actually pierced the can? Did you turn the can tap back out after piercing the can to open the tap? Is your manifold gauge open to allow refrigerant in?

The first can, or at least part of the can should empty itself right into the system. Also might check to see if your service ports are actually getting opened by your manifold gauge hoses. I've had issues with cheap ac gauges not being able to depress the stupid GM ball style service ports.
Yes, and if that is the case the vacuum he had, would have been what he was pulling against the gauges, and not actually pulling the system down .

blacksport

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
stupid question.....did ya check the fuse?
and just saying these are all good questions
Are you sure you actually pierced the can? Did you turn the can tap back out after piercing the can to open the tap? Is your manifold gauge open to allow refrigerant in?

rook

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
stupid question.....did ya check the fuse?
and just saying these are all good questions
Are you sure you actually pierced the can? Did you turn the can tap back out after piercing the can to open the tap? Is your manifold gauge open to allow refrigerant in?
Checked all fuses, swapped out relays to test.

I know I pierced the can because i tapped the valve to pitch any air in the line.

If I try to charge on a vacuum, even if I open the line slow, just shoots up to 65 and that’s it. Can doesn’t empty. I had a full crate of cans, I’m on the third can just seeing if there is an issue with one of the cans, a line, or something else.

I still think I have an electrical issue. May have to get out the multimeter and check if a signal is going to the compressor clutch/magnet thing from the firewall, but have no idea inside the rig. The climate control unit lights up, everything looks connected well.

I’ve literally gone through a whole set of fuses, relays, all sensors both on the compressor, be condenser, the canister, bought new, tried with old.

blacksport

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you can use a paper clip to jump the switch on the receiver dryer that should engage the clutch and cause it to suck the refrigerant in.if that don't get the compressor going i would give it power and ground right from the batt to check it.
it is always possible the compressor is bad new or not.i have replaced a starter and it would not crank the car. i checked everything twice...turned out the "new starter" was bad.

Knuckle Dragger

Rascal *****
Reaction score
you can use a paper clip to jump the switch on the receiver dryer that should engage the clutch and cause it to suck the refrigerant in.if that don't get the compressor going i would give it power and ground right from the batt to check it.
it is always possible the compressor is bad new or not.i have replaced a starter and it would not crank the car. i checked everything twice...turned out the "new starter" was bad.

Right here is where you need to start. No power at the clutch then go back to the low side shut off switch. You should have power on both sides. Power on one side is a defective switch or the pressure is too low. If there is no power then you have to go back further (no schematic in front of me). If you have power on both sides of the switch but nothing at the clutch look for an open wire in between. Don't over think it the system is fairly simple.

Another bonehead mistake I make from time to time is not actually opening the valves once I hook up the guages (assuming it's 134A). I've run vacuum and tried to charge just like you describe. Embarrassing but easy to fix :)

blacksport

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Knuckle Dragger is correct "You should have power on both sides. Power on one side is a defective switch"
this is true if you check it with the plug connected.if the pressure is too low to work the switch,paper clip or jumper the plug to get it going or just to check the clutch. breaking out the volt meter is more than likely going to be you best bet. unplug the compressor and unplug the switch turn on the ac from the controls in the vehicle check the low side plug for voltage at the switch/plug (the connector on the receiver/dryer) if it hs 12 volts jump it out then check the compressor plug then check it for voltage.