Weird issue with AC/Defrost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TCBRacer77

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So when ever I need to use heat and defrost my windshield, as soon as I turn the knob to full windshield the AC kicks on (compressor and all) even if the AC button isn’t activated. The control panel is breaks new do I already need a new one?

TCBRacer77

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think it kicks on as soon as you reach the halfway point between floor and defrost in fact. And if you have the recirc button on, it will be forcibly disabled at the same time. Working as designed!
Okay so this just means the original control panel I had must have been malfunctioning and I’m just not used to it lol. So is it actually okay to have my ac kick in like that if it’s super cold outside

mattillac

Lurker
Reaction score

Never got around to doing this mod.

Now the pictures are gone. :eek:

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score

Never got around to doing this mod.

Now the pictures are gone. :eek:
Yeah, only sad thing about remotely hosted pictures. I'll see if I can find my old control head later and put up some new pictures, if someone else doesn't get to it first.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Running the A/C when in "Defrost" has been a thing since before Fido's great-granddoggy was a pup. I learned about it in trade-school in 1980, and it was old-news then. I bet it dates back to the '50s when A/C was integrated into the heater/defrost system, instead of being an add-on in the trunk or hanging under the dash.

Defeating the A/C operation when in "Defrost" mode is nuts and counter-productive.

The A/C dehumidifies the air, which makes the defroster more efficient/faster/better. The "dry" air is then re-heated. Hot, dry air is better at removing windshield fog than hot, moist air.

The A/C compressor is protected against cold-weather damage by the low-pressure cutout switch, which also protects the compressor if the refrigerant charge has leaked-out. It's a well-thought-out system.

Screwing this up makes no sense at all.

Last edited: