Build idea

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kpeterson234

Reaction score
Let me start off with a little history, and my reasoning. I want honest opinions if anyone thinks it's worth it.

I have a 98 K1500. 5.7 vortec, 4L60e, 14 bolt semi float rear, short bed extended cab half ton truck with 160,000 miles. I've had it since I was 16, I'm 24 now. It's the best truck I've ever owned. It was passed down to me through my family, and its a really sentimental truck. I tow a lot, and I go off the beaten path quite a bit. The truck is in really good shape, but in all reality, I beat the out of it. I've debated many times buying a newer one ton or 3/4 ton, but the more I think about it, I cant part ways with it.

I'm a mechanic, I have a lot of experience with these trucks, I've rebuilt the engines, transfer cases, differentials, and all that good stuff on these things, as well as all the others (Chevy Ford Dodge) I specialize in 3/4 ton and larger gas and diesel truck heavyline repair. So that being said, I have most the tools, time, and equipment to do whatever to this truck. By the way I'm not saying I'm the best or anything, I've just worked on a lot of them.

Anywhoo, here's my idea...

I want to build the out of my truck. My goal isnt speed, but durability. A solid front axle, one ton chassis pickup with a gmt400 body. With what I know about them I know I would have to start ground up. I know the frames are quite different from the half ton to one tons, so thats where I would start.

So here's the plan:

Find a 3/4 ton HD frame, I dont remember the RPO code, but I know they made them for an ext cab short bed and I've found them for sale, and build it on the frame with no body.

Buy the frame, cut all the control arm perches off the front, and install a Dana 60 out of an early 90's Ford F-350. I've found kits that can use a kingpin Ford axle that gives about 3 inches of lift....by the way I'd like to not make it a stupid lifted truck, just a modest lift. The company that has pulled it off is Fabworx offroad. I'd like a 4.10 ratio.

Then scrap the 14 bolt semi float and put in a 14 bolt full floater in the rear, I know the early 90's fords and chevy's have the same lug pattern, so I'm not worried about that, and I believe the D60 has a 4.10 ratio like the GM 14 bolt. I havent decided if I'd want to find a Gov Lock or buy an open 14 bolt and install an air locker or whatever..thoughts?

With the full float comes with one ton springs, and leafs in the front as well.

Transmission, I cant decide on an NV4500 or a 4l80e. If I converted it to manual I'd have to find a PCM and do all the modifications to make it a manual transmission. I honestly dont know if it can be done, but I've seen the open holes in the body where the master cylinder and brackets go, so I think I could pull it off. And I know if I made it a 4l80e, I'd have to do similar modifications to the PCM.

Transfer case, I was thinking a Borg Warner 4401 that came in K3500 duallys. I still see them for sale. I've replaced them before, and it looks like with the right linkage it would hook up to the K1500 floor shift.

With all this I know I'd need custom built driveshafts, not a problem.

After it's all built, swap the engine to the new frame, and lift the cab in bed off the old chassis, to the new one. I dont know how hard that is to do, the body mounts all look to be in the same spot on all of them, but I've never done a cab off on a gmt400. I expect its not as easy as some powerstrokes I've done..

The only thing I'm iffy about is making the ABS, the Cluster, and the PCM work.

Has anyone even tried this? Or thought about it? I'm not worried about time or tools, I have all of that, along with lifts and jacks. With what I've estimated it would take less than 10 grand to build it. Is this even possible to do? I know it sounds stupid but this is a really special truck, and I build things. This is what I love to do, I'm willing to overcome the challenge. I just need some pointers from anyone thats tried to convert a half ton into a heavier truck.

Can it be done? Is it possible? Feedback is greatly appreciated!!

I just think it would be a one of a kind truck, a badass one. One I would've ever get rid of!!